Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking peppers

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi y'all,[p]A friend of mine has an enormous crop of assorted hot peppers and asked me if I could smoke some of them for him (and me too :-)). Home-made chipotle, I suppose. Does anyone have any knowledge on the subject? Time temp, general protocols? TIA for any advice.[p]George

Comments

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    George R,
    Randy Q has an excellent sight with a section on smoking peppers. Try randyq addr.com/

• sippi,
    you have a better address than that?

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    ol, Try this
    Painter

[ul][li]Smoked peppers[/ul]
  • Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Painter,
    Thanks, Painter, for correcting my error. I left home shortly after the post and didn't realize that the address was incomplete. Really is a good site.

• George R,[p]I've made my own chipotles several times on my "tin can" type smoker, and it works well. There's no reason it can't be modified for the egg.

Here's an abbreviated set of instructions from the Chipotle Chile Cookbook:[p]1) build a base fire and wait until it's just glowing coals, no Flames. Try to maintain a temp of 150-175 throughout the
    process.[p]2) add several presoaked 4 inch chunks of fruitwood, almond or pecan.[p]3) Add water-soaked hickory chips.[p]4) repeat steps 2 and 3 every 30 minutes or as necessary.[p]5) turn chiles occasionally.[p]6) add soaked wood for only the first 6 hours and continue to "cook" for up 4 to 6 more hours. I take mine off when they're dry but still flexable, not to the point of total dehydration.[p]I usually make the chipotles into an adobo sauce, then use the sauce to make BBQ sauce and some really good mashed potatoes.[p]I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.[p]I'm gonna try this on the egg this weekend,
    Kevin