Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to get butt the last 30 degrees?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like several other folks this weekend, I am trying my first long, slow cook. And like others, I am a bit panicky.[p]I am using a Guru, but I was a bit worried before I left for church this morning because after 9 1/2 hours the dome temp was still 250, but the meat was still around than 160 (-40 from target of 200). But after church I am on -30 now at around 12 hours and dome temp is till 250. Looks like I am starting to get over the hump.[p]So how long will it take to get it up the last 30 degrees so I can take it off the BGE?[p]An if I understand this right, i wrap it in aluminum foil and a towel, then put it in a cooler to rest and start to cool. Is 1 to 1 1/2 about the right amount if time before starting to pull it apart?[p]Thnaks (again and again!!)[p]

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Bald Headed Fat Guy,
    Once the butt truly breaks the plateau it will finish off fairly quickly (say, 2-3 degrees every 10 minutes, if you're running 250 at the grid). If you're looking to 'pull' and then serve the roast as soon as possible after it finishes, you don't need to do the whole wrap/cooler thing, just tent it like you would a turkey/beef roast or any large piece of meat and let it rest for half hour on the stove top or counter top to allow the juices to settle and redistribute and then pull away!
    There is no cut more forgiving than a pork shoulder/butt roast. If you want to rush it a bit, push the temp up to 275 to get it to 'pullable' stage (I strongly recommend holding off to 200 internal if you can for full ease in pulling and full rendering of the fat). If that blade bone (it is bone-in, yes?) slides out with ease, that is your cue to pull and rest.
    You're on the doorstep of some fine eats! Enjoy!
    Qfan (Hairy Headed Fat Guy)

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    butt6.gif
    <p />Bald Headed Fat Guy,[p]Here is a cool site (Tim M's BBQ cooking area - http://www.tm52.com/bge/index.html) with an explanation of the "hump"[p]I also copied a cool graph from the Tim M's website. I really thought this was a great reference and used it the first time I cooked a butt too! Seems to be a really scientific thing here.[p]If Tim M is reading - Thanks!![p]Cheers,
    [ul][li]Tim M's BBQ cooking area[/ul]