Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Spare Ribs - What did I do wrong?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a relatively new owner of the large BGE and have cooked pork spare ribs twice on the BGE. Both times I used the 3, 1.5, 1 hr method. I coated with mustard and JJ's rub and wrapped in Saran wrap the night before. Both were hickory smoked at 250.[p]The first batch were absolutely awesome. Really tender, very tasty. These racks were all sold in a Kryovac sealed package -- whole ribs that I cut up myself. All 3 racks were great.[p]The second pork spare ribs, on the contrary, were of the pre-frozen variety, cut up by the local grocer. They looked good in the meat case. Again, I cooked 3 racks. Some of these were ok. Some were tough. None were great. I know, I couldn't believe it either. I was real disappointed! I noticed the ones that were the toughest had flat rib bones. Don't know whether this had anything to do with it or not? These also had the least meat between the bones.[p]I'm not sure whether the difference was because of the pre-frozen, non kryovac packages? I just dumbfounded since the first ribs cooked via the same method were incredible. Any ideas/suggestions?

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Doug K.,
    I tried many methods on pork spares. The method that I found that always has great results with no hassle is to smoke them at 250 for at least 4 hrs without opening the lid....just put'em on, open beers, or do what you have to do to kill 4 hrs and not worry about the ribs. They will take care of themselves. Most of the time in life the simplest things work!
    ST

[ul][li]Sign Up For Egg Forum Fantasy Football Leauge![/ul]
  • Doug K.,[p]I agree with Todd. You need @ least 4 hours for spares @ 250. I wrap in foil after 4 hours and do a coupla more hours in the foil @ 250. Don't forget to remove the membrane.[p]Jeff
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Doug K.,
    What you did is about right for baby backs, but for spares you need to cook em longer at the 250* or raise the temp. I'd go 4 hours at the 250* and see how they look. The meat should be noticably shrunken from the end of the bones. If so then do the foil wrap and after that direct.
    B D

• Doug K.,[p]Sounds like a bad batch of meat to me. I use the 3/1.5/1 and get perfection every time. Try the kryovaced Sam's spares....they are meaty and reeeaaaal good. Send me an e-mail direct, let's talk through this off line ... if you like.[p]CaptainBBQ

• Doug K.,[p]Tell the grocer that he gave you a bum steer (or pig, in this case) and that you expect better the next time or you'll buy your meat elsewhere.[p]Jim