Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Cult member/ First Butt

Edemitch
Edemitch Posts: 196
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so after lurking here for a couple of weeks I broke the piggy bank open and picked up a Medium BGE last weekend. Roasted a pork loin the first day. It came out great. Smokie, moist, big hit a the family BBQ. I've since done burgers and dogs, chicken breast and Jerk chicken. Tonight I jumped in with both feet and just put a 9.5# Butt on at 250. Fingers crossed I didn't mess up the load and it burns all night. I'll be up with the granddaughter a couple of times so I'll be able to check it.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    EdeMitch,
    Wire coat hanger for a wiggle rod if need be.[p]

• firstovernightbutts-003.jpg
    <p />EdeMitch,
    hey! i'm doing my first overnight butts on my medium tonight too!

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    EdeMitch,
    I literally checked the egg every 2 hours all night the first time I cooked a butt.... now I don't. Instead I get the dome at 250 and let it stablize for about 30 minutes and add the butt cooking with the indirect setup. Check on it once after two hours if it is steady... I go to bed and wait till I wake up the next morning to check it. I have cooked several butts now and the egg has done its magic :=)
    ~Pharmeggist
    P.S. One Butt was cooked below 40 degrees outside temp. in the dead Alabama winter season. I know others out there can top this story easy with Snow pictures outside!!!

• Edemitch
    It's been steady at 250 for about an hour. I'm going to bed. Fingers crossed for the morning!

• EdeMitch,[p]Welcome to the cult! My wife doesn't fully understand or appreciate the enthusiasm we cult members share, but she sure does seem to enjoy the outcome (like the cedar plank smoked salmon for dinner today or the pig candy for this evening's snack!).[p]May your egg remain lit and all your butts pull well![p](btw - Learn from my early mistake... don't try pulling until you reach 195 degrees.)[p]
  • Edemitch
    So I get up early this morning to check things out and the temp is right were I left it, at 250. Great, right? Wrong. The Butt is already at 190! On an impulse I flick the thermometer with my finger and it jumps to 300. Who knows what it really went to over night. I've closed down the Daisy wheel most of the way. The bottom barn door was already only open about 14 inch and I closed that down to about an 18. What do you guys think? Can I save this or has it just cooked waaaaay to fast.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    You've got the right sauce for them :>)[p]H

• EdeMitch,[p]I've gotten up more than once to find the butt in that range. I just slowed things down a bit and let it continue cooking until noon. Pulled and ate quite well.
  • Edemitch
    SO after everything was said and done we reached 200 after 15 hours. Butt started to fall apart as I was taking it off the grill. It's resting for a while and I will be pulling it soon.
    Not to waste a hot grill. and it is lunch time, I threw on a half dozen ABT's and a nice piece of Monk Fish for lunch ;<)

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Edemitch,
    Sure you aren't an ole egger... pretending to be a new one. LOL sounds like you have got a handle on it pretty fast. [p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• Edemitch
    The outside looks a little chard but if the piece that stuck to the grill is any indication the taste is heavenly