Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow salmon

Options
uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll try this one more time with the daytime crew. No responses last night, so this must not be a common way to do it.
A friend was raving about some salmon she cooked on an offset smoker. Two 3-lb. salmon filets, EVOO, S&P--tied together into a six-lb. log. Then 5-6 hours at 225 on the offset. That sounds like a long time to me. Anyone on the forum have experience with anything similar on the egg?
I'd like to cook some salmon tonight for my wife.
Thanks.

Comments

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    uncbbq,This recipe/method is lower and sloer than you describe. I have done it many times and love it.

[ul][li]Russell's smoked salmon[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    uncbbq,[p]I was hoping someone would jump on this myself. The process seems sound enough...I'm guessing the fillets still have the skin on? This would be very similar to cooking a whole stuffed fish, which I have done a bunch. Just never thought of stacking fillets. I bet some fresh herbs laid between the fillets would be good too.[p]The 6 hours does sound like a long time, but then again some of the offset pits I've cooked on have big differences between thermometer readings and actual temps at the cooking grate (so the grate temp may be way lower).[p]It's pretty easy to monitor salmon doneness, and I don't cook by time anyway. 130° to 140° is the finish temp range I like. Let us know how it comes out.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno,[p]And the big difference is that this recipe calls for brining which gives you a safety cushion with long times. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    I'll give it a try tonight.

• Unknown
    Options
    I'm a fan of low & slow and have been waiting to see a good SLOW way to cook salmon. What is EVOO and S&P? Sorry, newbie question, I'm sure. :)[p]Thanks![p](Also, if anybody has a good bourbon marinade recipe for salmon, I'd be grateful...)
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    EVOO - Extra virgin olive oil[p]S&P - Salt and pepper.[p]Look in the recipe section for a bourbon recipe. (As I recall)[p]Spacey
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spaceman Spiff,
    Thanks! I keep forgetting there is a separate recipe section -- the forum is overwhelming enough!