Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's prep ahead of time?

Options
Jay
Jay Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
Thanks for all the info regarding ribs and abt's! I am back from the store with an arm-full of spare ribs, yellow mustard, "bad byron's butt rub" and "annies bbq smokey maple" sauce. I've got 10 jalapenos, spicy italian sausage, shrimp, cream cheese, and bacon for abt's. Romain lettuce for grilled ceasar salad, corn on the cob and watermelon! I can hardly wait for my family's home-coming tomorrow![p]Here's my question....I am hoping to do all the prep work tonight so in the am all I have to think about is temp, timing and kids. Can I make all the abt's tonight with the plan of cooking Sat. late afternoon or would it be better to get them prepped tomorrow.[p]As so many have said before me...this is a great site and thanks for all the input.[p]Jay

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Jay,
    prep the abt's tonight. wear gloves and eye protection when cleaning the peppers or you'll be sorry!

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Jay,
    Yes, you can make your ABT's in advance. I've made up a couple of plastic containers worth and kept them in an ice chest until needed a day or so later with no problems at all.[p]Spring "Professional ABT Eater" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Jay,
    sounds like a great menu, what time should we stop by?

• fonchik
    fonchik Posts: 92
    Options
    Jay,
    Can you share you Grilled Cesar Salad recipe?[p]thanks
    ~~Linnea

• Unknown
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]And be reeeaaaaallllll careful what you... uh... touch, too![p]~ B

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 53
    Options
    fonchik,[p]First of all, thanks for all the quick reply's...I've got a box of latex gloves at the ready![p]As for the salad, it's something I had at a local place a few years ago that made quite an impression. I am new to the egg and this is only my third cook but I wanted to try it. There are several references to something similar in the archives and I will simply modify this to fit. [p]It appears really simple in print :) Get rid of the outside loose leaves and halve the romaine. I am going to drizzle some bottled cesar dressing into and between the leaves and add freshly grated parmesan in the same manner. After I pull the ABT's I will put the lettuce on at 350-400 cut side down for a couple of minutes, turn and repeat. Serve with fresh cherry tomato's picked today and hopefully tomorrow! We'll see how it does![p]Before I actually do all of this I will double check in the archives...I think I read something on the Naked Whiz's site about this...so better to ref. there and not take my word for anything yet! [p]I'm nervous/excited about trying all of this![p]Happy Friday![p]Jay
  • Unknown
    Options
    Broc in Council Bluffs,
    ya mon! and jalapeno juice in the eye will ruin your entire evening!
    among other places

• fonchik
    fonchik Posts: 92
    Options
    Jay,
    I am sure you will do fine cooking. It works like most other cookers but has better heat retention, temp control and better tasting food coming off of it.
    In fact, I got my first Egg last Sept (the 16th) my Dad put the nest together so we could get the egg out of my car. While my mom and best friend were unpacking and decorating my new house. 2 hours later I was cooking (brats) for my 45 guests that showed up to my Trifecta party (my birthday that day/housewarming/walking again after leg was reconstructed 4 months earlier).[p]I do cook much better things now and my friends request what they want to eat for my parties. The gathering coming up will be starting with ABTS followed by pulled pork and brisket, then we will have a movie in the backyard projected onto the new garage. [p]Have fun cooking tomorrow.[p]~~ Linnea