Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knot Tying

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok i'm looking to tie up some chicken and i finished cub scouts a million years ago and can barely tie my shoes right (i preferr to just slip them off and fight my way back in later). so i am not the best knot tyer {also can't spell worth a spit}. anyone out there got a place to look at a video or something i looked at food network and ask a butcher and in a couple other places food related. i just don't like using toothpicks (i always forget one andi end up being the one who bite's the tooth pick), i don't like skewering andything except shrimp (i feel like it limits my movement)[p]thanks
happy eggin
tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BENTE,
    i use butcher's string, tie it in simple square knots. ..here's a pic of some de-boned stuffed and rolled and tied turkey thighs. . .[p]IMG_0656.jpg

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Square Knot[p]Right over left Pull tight
    Left over Right[p]

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    BENTE, try a surgeon's knot...T

[ul][li]http://www.killroys.com/knots/surgeon.htm[/ul]
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BENTE
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    yea i've seen your turkey thighs man them things look tastey!!! maybe i will try them soon i got a brainstorm on these chicken thighs.. thanks for the pic!![p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    tjv,
    i seen alton doing a surgeon's knot on foos tv.com at least that's what he said but it was so fast i couldn't quite see what he was doing thanks for a step-by-step[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    BENTE,
    bimini twist is my favorite knot, but the surgeons knot is more practical, make sure to leave a long tag end so that you can use it to tie the other end after wrapping everything up.

[ul][li]bimini twist[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    IMG_0808.jpg
    <p />BENTE,
    in the future you might want to buy a pouch of these FoodLoops which makes wrapping easy and fast. They are heat resistant to 675°.

[ul][li]click here for more info[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP,
    Those are way cool...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    BENTE,
    Check out the link.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Figure of 8.[/ul]
  • BENTE
    Options
    RRP,
    man i'm glad i hit the lottery(wait it was just for a free ticket)..[p]man those look good i have bookmarked the page and will have to look into that in the future [p]thanks[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    man that look s complicated i deffinatly have to improve my knot tying capabilities[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]You are my hero! ;-)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    652666b6.jpg
    <p />BENTE,[p]That is a dam good question. You want a tie that is secure at the ends, but allows for expansion or contraction in the middle. Secure one end (if you can't tie a good knot, go with a double pass through instead of a single. ((Like a double Windsor vs a Windsor)) Good butchers twine will hold). Use the simple one pass for your middle bindings. Then go back to a secure end knot. This may sound stupid.... but practice on something like a zucchini and you will be a pro in no time.[p]loin5.jpg[p]turkey6.jpg

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BENTE
    Options
    thirdeye,
    i went by my local publix and had them show me at one point but they are pros and let's face it i am not!!![p][p]but the NBB's came out great
    DSCN0245.jpg
    thanks for the pics though i have to go to colledge to figure out how to actually tie things ....
    hey maybe someone will have a class on tying at a eggfest[p][p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb