Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, one more question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGEphotos140.jpg
<p />I bought this 4.40 pound "flat" brisket yesterday. I just now oiled it and rubbed it with lots of DP Cow Lick.
I've cooked several pork butts in the past but this is my first brisket attempt.
I think I've gathered enough info except for the part about HOW LONG? What is your best guess as to how long to get to 200* internal temp?
Any other suggestions are appreciated..........
Thanks for your response!

BGEphotos141.jpg

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Tiger Tony,
    The only time I've cooked a flat that small I had this silly notion I would could it direct. If I hit it with a hammer it could have put my eye out.....so I don't recommend going that route :>)[p]I'd think the 1.5 to 2 hours a pound would hold true.

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Tiger Tony,[p]From my post on Brisket's, the guys were saying internal temp should be 195. Then wrap it in foil and towels and put in cooler for a couple of hours. If I am wrong please advise us. Thank You. My brisket has been on allmost 4 hours now. Temp is not there yet. [p]Pork Butt Mike

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Pork Butt, 195-200 is a good range. You can try the fork test to verify doneness. If the internal temp has jumped 175 and the flat looks like it's drying out, you can foil it. You might loose some of the bark, but it will help keep the flat moist. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Pork Butt,
    Ok this is great. You are cooking your brisket today, our briskets are just about the same size and I'm cooking mine tomorrow.
    I can use you as a test run :)
    Keep me posted on the results.[p]

• tjv,
    Thanks "T" I appreciate all the advice...
    I want mine to come out looking just like the pictures you posted in "pork butts" post below.[p]

• tjv
    120_2096.jpg
    <p />Tiger Tony, here is a picture of one I foiled below 175. It lost the bark but it was very moist. I think I added some low sodium beef broth to the foil too.

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    tjv,
    Great, I have apple cider I was going to try to put in foil wrap. You think that be ok. If not have to go get beef broth. [p]Pork Butt Mike

• tjv
    Pork Butt, if you are new to brisket flats, I'd stay way from apple cider for now. I suggest wrapping it with no added liquid. This way you can see what happens with the brisket on its own accord. It will produce some liquid on its own. Good luck. T
  • Tiger Tony,
    i smoked an untrimed brisket 2 weeks ago.soaked in Shiner Bock for 13 hours, drained, then applied rub and smoked for 10 hours at 200 degrees with a plate setter and a drip pan filled with the beer used for the marinade. ( used the JD barrel chips and mesquite chips).no foil, came off the egg and sat on the counter for 45 minutes. it was a challenge to cut because of the tenderness.

• Clarky
    Clarky Posts: 16
    Tiger Tony,
    I have never wrapped and NEVER added liquid. I usually go hotter at first, 280, and then bring down after a while to 210. I find between 15-20 hours gets it done. Pull at 195-200 internal.[p]I don't know how to post a pic but can email you some....

• tjv
    speedtruck, more than likely you overcooked it, past 200 degrees internal meat temp and it can become stringy like post roast, been there done that several times. T[p]Damn, answered so many question about brisket, I feel like Celtic Wolf.......LOL. By the way CW, you need to call me or email me your number, couple questions on the xl set-up. T

• Tiger Tony,[p]Brisket is my favorite. Hope this one works out for you. [p]I recommend to - not worry, cook it low (230 degrees) and just be patient. You know the guideline of 1.5 to 2 hrs means that you aren't sure when this dern thing will be done. Remember wrapping in foil and towel and putting in a cooler will keep this thing hot for a few hours, so start a little early. EnjoY.[p]I attached a link to the way I do brisket.[p]I've only cooked 6-7 briskets ever, (all this yr) and they've all been good[p]Cheers....JerryD[p]
    [ul][li]Brisket[/ul]
  • JerryD,
    Very nice! Thank You! I just saved your web site to my favorites.[p]