Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon

Options
Saucehog
Saucehog Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I brought home some nice filets today to grill out for tomorrow.[p]What/How Long should I marinade?[p]Cheers,
Saucehog

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Saucehog,
    Did you say marinade, on a filet

• Unknown
    Options
    Saucehog,[p]
    IMHO, I would never marinade fillet mignon.

• Eggoholic
    Eggoholic Posts: 90
    Options
    Saucehog,
    What i would suggest is before putting on at high heat for 3 min a side, rub with alittle butter,

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Saucehog,
    What is the purpose in marinade of any meat. Personally, I like the taste of meat, a little garlic, salt, pepper and smoke. [p]Chef Jerry

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Saucehog,[p] Wow marinade on Filet Migon.. Please tell me you DON'T cover it with Ketchup. [p] Coat it with Cracked Pepper. Sear Both Sides [p]Here is a nice sauce provided By Hoss[p]Ramp Cognac Cream Sauce
    This is a recipe for a ramp cognac cream sauce I made for peppercorn crusted ribeye. You can substitute the ramps with, mushrooms(really good with morels!)to make a mushroom cognac cream sauce. Cayenne in small amounts (a pinch) gives a cream sauce more depth.
    Ingredients:
    • ¼ Cup Chopped Ramps
    • 1 Clove Garlic Minced
    • 1 Clove Shallot Minced
    • 1 pt Heavy Cream
    • 1 Tbs Butter
    • ½ Cup Cognac or Brandy
    • tt Kosher Salt
    • tt White Pepper
    • t Cayenne[p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • Have everything chopped and near by when you start.[p]Cooking Directions:
    • Melt butter in a hot saute pan
    • Saute the garlic,shallots and ramps till soft
    • Deglaze with Cognac.(carefully this will ignite!)
    • Reduce the Cognac by half.
    • Add the heavy cream and reduce till desired thickness
    • Season with salt,pepper, and the cayenne
    • Serve over steak or any other grilled or sauted meats[p]Special Instructions:
    • If using mushrooms add the mushrooms first let them cook for a while then add your garlic and shallots or else they will burn

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Saucehog,
    if you have a regular old tenderloin, i don't think you are doing anything taboo by marinating it. there's a VERY popular recipe for "drunk-n-dirty" tenderloin in the Smoke and Spice book. [p]IMHO, choice tenderloin doesn't have much flavor to begin with, not like rib eyes or strip steaks. if you get top-choice or prime, there's some decent fat in there providing the often-missing beefiness. not to say it doesn't have flavor, it's just not "beefy" like the other cuts.[p]i don't think you are sacrilegious for marinating it.[p]if it were a pricey aged cut, heirloom beef, grass finished yada yada yada, i'd say you'd be better off tasting just the beef, as they can be much more interesting than supermarket tenderloin. ...but if you have supermarket tenderloin, go ahead.[p]for crying out loud, beef wellington, one of the most savory and lauded beef dishes, has marinating (in cognac, among other thins) as (i think) step one. the drunk-n-dirty recipe uses bourbon (or hell just whiskey). not far off, and easier than hell.[p][p]

[ul][li]drunk-n-direty tenderloin[/ul]
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Saucehog,
    how about salt, pepper and olive oil. a few minutes at 550 degrees, then a bernaise sauce on the side. oh man that sounds good
    good luck
    Grateful Egg

• Unknown
    Options
    Saucehog,
    Okay at risk of being kicked off the forum may I say I marinate my filet in Merlot Wine, Thyme and Garlic over night in a sealed tupperware in the fridge. Before grilling let it begin to sweat at room temp.Disgard marinate. Place on 550-575 grate for 3-5 minutes per side.
    shut down your Egg and cook 3-5 minutes more. I have done this several times for different people and they say it's the best filet they have ever had.

• Unknown
    Options
    sven,
    Butter will burn the Filet and cause flare ups in the egg. Take it from the "Eggnominator", "Brush it with some olive oil"