Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Ghee

Zip
Zip Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw the garlic show on Good Eats where Alton made "Chicken with 40 Cloves" and decided to try something. A byproduct of the recipe was a garlic infused olive oil, so I tried a different spin. I started with two stick of butter and followed R&J's ghee recipe, but added eight cloves of garlic. I just kept the heat low and strained the ghee after about 45-50 minutes of slow cooking. The results were amazing to say the least. This makes the best grilled garlic bread by far I have ever tasted. The remaining cooked garlic is to die for as well. I mixed it up with equal parts of parmesan, parsley, and ghee for a keep in the fridge garlic spread. If you like the ghee on steak and like garlic, you may want to make up a batch.[p]Zip

Comments

• Zip, you say 8 cloves so I assume in Gretl's term introduced last week means 8 "toes" of garlic, right?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    one feral kat,
    So let me get this straight, I dip my toes in ghee and the put them on the steak?
    All right, I guess that I have tried stranger things.[p](Sorry, it seemed funny at the time)
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    RhumAndJerk,
    We just don't need to know any more, puh-leeze! ;-)
    Cheers,
    G.

• RhumAndJerk
    Zip,
    Ok that is a good one that I had not thought of before. You have just opened a big door here. [p]This version of spicing is similar to Indian Tadka. This is basically using ghee to sauté spices before adding it to finish a dish. I most often would use this with Indian bean dishes (dal) or rice. Here are some of the things that will use either singularly or in combination: Hot Pepper Flakes, garlic slices until they brown, onion slices until they brown, ginger, Black Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Coriander seeds, Cilantro, Curry leaves. For rice I will use various chopped nuts and/or raisins. [p]What makes your idea unique is that you are infusing the butter oil with garlic will make it.[p]Here is another way to try it, green onions. There is a recipe that I found for Scallion oil in a Chinese cookbook. It is simply green onions simmered in peanut oil. I use it for stir-frying all the time. It may be worth trying with Ghee.[p]Oh man, flavored Ghee. Whoodathunkit.[p]Nice Job!!
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Gretl,
    Smile.
    R&J

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Zip,[p]Now come on Ashley, only 8 cloves? I really thought you had a more adventureous spirit than that. I think I'll try this with the 40 :~)[p]How the fishing?[p]

• Zip
    Bob,[p]
    I know, I wimped out. I really wanted to do the 40, but just couldn't do it...maybe next time. I'm not sure why, but they have a five pound bag of fresh garlic at the shop, so I have plenty to experiment with. For the most part the eight was a perfect balance for us, not too strong. The interesting part of this whole thing was how good the garlic/cheese spread was. This is truly delicious and not strong at all. [p]The fishing right now is still pretty hard for the client with the heat and the presentations. Carolina rigs and digging rattle traps in deep water are key, but hard for most first timers. [p]Ash

• Zip
    one feral kat,[p]It took a little bit, but I found the reference. Eight toes of garlic![p]Ash[p]
  • Zip
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Infused oils are a part of our meals every week. I like to cook fresh peppers, pepper flakes, and garlic quarters in olive oil and then toss with pasta for a quick meal. I tried a little garlic ghee in that mix last night and it gave a depth of flavor never experience before. [p]Now for the rice. Considering I'm from the South, I think I'll take mine with gravy please! :~) Thanks for the tips and the recipes and the information![p]Ashley