Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip from Costco....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody tried the "Mortons tri-tip from Costco? I've never had tri-tip before, but have heard that they are very good on the egg. I picked up one today and plan on trying it this weekend. It looks like it already has a rub or some type of seasonings on it, but I can't be sure until I open it on Saturday. Any tips on the best way to season and cook? Thanks

Comments

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Cobbegger,
    Check the label, it might be pre-cooked. If not cook direct over 350° fire till 126° internal, rest a few minutes them slice across grain.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Big Hoser
    Big Hoser Posts: 104
    Options
    Cobbegger,[p]I pick'em up every now and then myself. The meat quality varies (select to choice) it seems, but the flavors are quite good (and the price ain't bad at $4.70/lb. Out here in NorCal, you can find Choice tri-tip at $4/lb on sale, but these are not pre-marinated). For the Morton's flavors, I like the Steakhouse and Mustard & Ale best. These are not pre-cooked, so I cook 'em T-rex style ala Morro Bay Rich's recipe for Santa Maria tri-tip (sear 600+ for 90 sec. per side, rest for 15 min. while you bring the dome temp down to 400, then roast for around 20min. until internal temp reaches 125, tent with foil and let it rest 10 minutes and then slice into some juicy tri-tip). [p]Dan
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cobbegger,[p]The Mortons are PRE cooked - NOT very good - get the RAW version in the meat counter.[p]
  • WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    Options
    RIBS 4 U,
    I'll second that.[p]If you want a preseasoned, uncooked tri-tip at Costco, try Bill Baily's Santa Maria style tri-tip. Also, look for thicker ones that have a "tip" (triangular) rather than the ones that are more rectangular.[p]I've had real good luck with the unseasoned one's, marinating them in "Bone Sucking Sauce" overnight, then low and slow to about 120-125, then raising the temp and getting a little sear. Mesquite or Oak for smoke.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Cobbegger, some costco's carry the tri tip whole and others cut in strips....

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cobbegger,[p]I personally think that the mortons prodocuts are terrible -way to salty. Go their meat counter and get the real deal.[p]I'm a native Californian living in Atlanta - My family eats one a week for "steak night." i clean costco out of their fresh trips every chance I get.