Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that I'm finally ready to try spatchcock chicken, I can't find out much on it. Namely,times & temps cooking method (direct--I think), and rubs. I can't even spell it.Can anyone help!

Comments

• Tim H., Ops, just found TNW recipe in the submitted section but it doesn't specify direct or indirect---I am assuming direct?

• Tim H., yup, direct and a word of caution - give some fore thought to just how you plan to flip the bird when it comes time. You'll want to keep it in tact so use something wide - I used a couple spatulas and still slinged BBQ sauce all over my table...but the trade off is that it is good!

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    one feral kat,
    I cook mine indirect and don't flip em. When I pull the Bird it is coming apart. Might have to cook one tonight!

• Palisin,Maybe you can advise me as to time & temp for indirect.

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Tim H.,[p]For direct I used 350 degrees, count on 20 mins per lb. I injected mine the night before with cajun marinade, rubbed it with peanut oil and JJ's rub. I also used apple wood for smoke. It was the best chicken I have ever had.[p]CC
  • Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    Tim H.,
    Sure I cook At 350-400 for about an hour until the breast temp is @ 180-185. Different size birds different times. Slap the bird on the grill and forget about it for an hour. Check your breast temp. Close it back up or pull the dirty bird. Make sure you are up to temp when you start your cook. Great results are guaranteed!
    Cheers, much smoke, and cold Beers on this wonderful FRIDAY!
    GO COCKS!

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]I just did 2 as well. Vary carefully stick your fingers between skin and meat and seperate. Breasts, legs etc.
    Mix olive oil and your favorite spices to create a paste like mass. Then rub it on the meat. You won't believe how much flavor it adds. Why waste all that spice and rub on the skin, if your just going to discard it anyway.[p]My 2c[p]Aloha Friday all[p]Mick

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]That's the way I ended up doing it now that you reminded me. I put the peanut oil on the outside to crisp up the skin and the run under the skin.[p]Enjoy your weekend![p]CC
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tim H.,[p]No need to cook direct or measure the temperature. Use a 3.5 to 4 pound bird, cook direct, 350 degrees, 45 minutes, turning once in the middle. It won't fall apart if you turn it gently. I just use a single pair of tongs. If you would like pictures, visit my website and check the recipes section:[p]TNW
    [ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Ceramic Charcoal Barbecue Web Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tim H.,[p]OOOOOOOOOPS, that should read, no need to cook INDIRECT. Cook the birds direct. It goes faster, less mess, and you will have wonderful wonderful chicken.[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz