Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parmigiano-Reggiano Question

Options
BurntRaw
BurntRaw Posts: 565
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I love this stuff but I must be missing something.[p]I normally get it at our local store and they charge around $20 a pound, but they have been out for a couple of weeks now so I decided to look for some on the web.[p]igourmet.com has it for $13.99 / lb! How can there be that much of a difference? It this the same stuff, or am I missing something here?[p]Anybody ever order from these guys?[p]Is that enough questions?[p]Thanks

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    my safeway sells it for around 18 bucks per pound. ..i buy 2 miles away at a gourmet italian specialty store for 12.99 per pound. . ..same stuff, less overhead .. ..go figure ... .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    some is aged more and some just isnt as high a quality. i bought some rescently that was so dry it almost turned to a powder when i grated it. theres an italian deli where i mostly buy from near me and i just buy it in small quantities when needed.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    BurntRaw,

Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    I buy a big chunk at Costco and cut it up into smaller pieces, then vacuum pack the pieces. I leave one in a ziplock bag for current use. I keep all of them in the cheese drawer in my refrigerator. They never mold, and the vacuum-packed pieces seem to last forever.

Judy in San Diego
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    i like to buy it in one pound bricks and keep it in the fridge, just in a plastic zip lock baggy. ..lasts a very long time, and though it gets a small amount of white mold on it, it seems to intensify the flavor over time. ...i grate it on everything (dang, i haven't tried grating it on the avocados though, maybe i should)

• Unknown
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I recently read that white "mold" is really calcium!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i thought if it comes from an officially "stamped" wheel, it was all the same quality and age? .. .are there different levels of official regianno?. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Judith Mayberry,
    you got me, all i know is the longer its in the fridge, the more intense the flavor. ..and i use one of those micro planers to grate it, and makes for a very soft/fluffy texture. .. .[p]btw. if you want a great parmesian torte (i'm a guy and i don't make quiche!)recipe, i'll get it for you. .. [p]max

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p]Different producers, aging, quality of ingredients and marketing all come into play with good quality cheeses. I sort of like to taste before I buy, sometimes you stumble on to a good one at a lower price.[p]I just restocked my balsamic from igourmet. They have Villa Manodori on sale. The $39 price is from $5 to $15 a bottle cheaper than I have seen it other places.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Max - try dicing up your avacados, toss with diced roma tomatoes, minced up basil, drizzle with balsamic & then grate the cheese on it. Trust me - it is goooood!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    i can do that!! . ..in fact, that may be a big part of tonight's dinner .. ..[p]here's a link to the parmesan torte ....good stuff

[ul][li]http://www.greeneggers.com/archives//2005/messages/209630.htm[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    i dont know about different levels, but ti do see a difference hit or miss in the supermaket near me as far as how it tastes and how it grates compared to borreli's italian deli which is always consistant. i didnt even know that provolone could be bought in a very sharp variety until i started going there and asking questions, i always hated provo until i started to buy there. i just looked this up and in the picture on the right there is 5 different provences and 3 different aging times that fall under parm-reg. and if i read it right some passes and some gets the stamping removed by a certifier, i bet that the supermarkets buy that stuff up.

[ul][li]cheese[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    that's just like the quiche my boyfriend makes!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    stike,
    always glad to see that you are in touch with your feminine side jeff :-)

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    if i had a feminine side, i'd never leave the house.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlatEric
    FlatEric Posts: 56
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    DiBruno's has it ranging from $10.99/lb 24 Months to $22.49/lb for 3 year

[ul][li]DiBruno Brothers[/ul]
  • SpokaneMan
    SpokaneMan Posts: 77
    Options
    Costco has the real deal for $9.99 a pound. It's aged 24 months and is fantastic. They also have an Italian, non-Reggiano that is aged 18 months for $7.99. It's also very good, but not quite as good as the real thing.
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    Thanks all y'all!