Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Why are my peppers...

Options
GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
turning brown in the vinegar pepper sauce I made...not q sauce? I thought vinegar was a preservative? Should I be adding something to them to keep them from turning off color?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    did you salt them first?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    I picked them from the plant, washed them and put them in the bottle of vinegar. Now, two days later, they are turning brown.
  • stike
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    are you trying to invent pepper sauce yourself or something?
    heh heh[p]i'm assuming you want to make hot sauce. usually they pack the peppers in salt for a while i think. some close to a month. i think (not sure) that that might help.[p]are you just trying to pickle them?

• ArtieQ
    ArtieQ Posts: 65
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    Mine have always done that. Would be good to know how to stop it.

• Unknown
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    z

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    I think you're seeing an honest-to-god no preservatives added pepper sauce. It may help to salt the peppers first, but I'm pretty sure that the lovely red and green color you see in store-bought pepper sauce is made possible by some additive you really don't want anyway. If you've processed them properly, and you like the taste--go with it. Maybe buy some dark brown bottles if the appearance really bothers you?
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Peppers old man. ;) Hope all is well in Pike these days.
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    here in the south, we have what is called pepper sauce. It is basically hot peppers (tabasco, serano, cayenne) in a jar of vinegar. We use it to pour on some veggies, turnip greens and collard greens. gives them a spicy vinegar taste. [p]Older folks usually have it in the fridge/cupboard. I have used it many times but have never seen the peppers turn brown in it. This is my first time trying to make it myself.
  • stike
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    well, there's the problem right there. a northerner (me) tryna figure out somethin southern what he (me again) doan know nuthin about...[p]after your question, i poked around a bit and found most recipes (sauce, or pickled peppers) involved salt and heat as well as the vinegar. that might have something to do with it.[p]let us know what you figure out. i have a semi-decent crop coming in.

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    stike,
    Didn't know yall didn't use it too. Ya needs to try it on ya greens soon an I don't mean no spinnich.

• stike
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    i wonder how hot pepper maple syrup would be

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    stike,
    Bet it would keep your pancakes warm. lol

• Bahmanicious
    Bahmanicious Posts: 105
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    What kind of peppers are you using? I have bottled tabascos (both green and red) without them turning color. However, I have tried the same thing with a purple pepper called tri-fetta that turned brown overnight.

Some of the best pepper sauce I have ever made started with tabasco peppers that were macerated with some salt and then I tossed in a package of yeast, covered it and let the mash work for a few days. Then heated the mash with vinegar to taste, strained and bottled.
    Best,
    WA
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,[p]Look for a Ball canning recipe for them. What you get in the stores, although the ingredients may say that it's vinegar and peppers, has been processed before it goes into those jars. As I recall from my canning days, salt is added to the pickling brine, and also sometimes also another product (whose name is escaping me at the moment) specifically meant to prevent browning of the item being canned. But, the Ball literature will be a big help. Do a google search on Ball and canning and I'll bet you find a bunch of information.[p]Tonia
    :~)