Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings from New Mexico![p]I just purchased my first Egg -- a medium -- after thinking about it for several years. After setting it up, with the help of some strong young men, I cooked my first meal: turkey burgers.[p]A few hours before cooking them I fired up the Egg to see how it worked. No problems. I went right up to 700 deg., then I brought it back down to about 300. When I was ready to cook, I brought it back up to 450 and cooked the burgers. Even though I was running low on charcoal, they were fantastic![p]I want to thank all of you in the forum for the tips you have posted, since they were instrumental in my being successful right away. They really made a difference.[p]I have discovered two things: if I use the clip on the thermometer to hold the face 1" from the dome, there is no warping or condensation. Also, I found a product named "Fire Starter" that is an alcohol-based gel (like Sterno) to light the charcoal. No smell, works great.[p]Jim

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Jim Benenson, welcome to the forum JB...and your new Medium is going to present you with some fantastic meals..GFW has a excellent website with pics of a Medium and his production with it. Nice.
    Interesting your Gel fire starter. There are many ways of starting up the charcoal. Eventually you will find a comfort zone to your liking. Join in anytime either with questions or suggestions..This is a continuous learning forum.
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the message. It's nice to be a part of an active forum with so many nice people, and so few jerks. It's really fun to read and participate with other BBQers using this great cooker.[p]Jim
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jim Benenson, oh we have our share of Jerks. In addition to RhumAndJerk (who is not a jerk but I'm not sure about the Rhum part), we get our share of jerk recipes (some are really good - try the jerked grouper). And sadly, we sometimes have a few of the other type of jerks but WMK does a good job of cleaning up after these folks. All in all, it's a great forum with a great discussion on a pair of wonderful topics - cooking and eating.
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Don't forget the occasional topic of what to wash it down with.[p]Jethro
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Jim Benenson,
    Congratulations on your purchase, you made a good decision. From here on out it gets better, and by visiting here (by reading and asking questions), you will find many great things to enjoy.
    Happy Q'ing,
    ChefRD