Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - how to cook

Options
JavaBen
JavaBen Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I followed up on one of the sites posted here about cooking ribs, but it didn't give any temperatures.[p]I want to cook some really, really good ribs. I want them falling off of the bone good, and moist. To date, I don't think that mine are as good as they could be; seems that I've ended up with them being a little more dry then I would like.[p]Any suggestions? Also, what's the best sauce you've had? Do you prefer rubs or not? Hurry! After last night, I'm anxious! (see previous posting today)[p]JavaBen

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JavaBen,
    Use JSlots indirect method. I think it is 375 for 3-4 hours, indirect over firebricks. You could put beer in the drip pan.[p]I have had very good results that way. Some wrap them in foil at the end to help get "fall-off-the-bone status. Cooking them direct at 220 is nice also, and results in slightly smokier and better crust. But the indirect method, especially with fluids in the drip pan, will give you moist/tender results. If you like a finishing sauce, one way is to finish up direct for last 15 minutes or so while brushing sauce on.[p]Good luck getting those dream ribs you have in mind!!.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    JavaBen,
    BTW, I think they are great slathered in mustard and coated with JJs rub. I have been developing an Asian style rib recipe that is full of flavors (see my post last night Asian Nature Ribs). Let me know if you want me to type up that recipe.[p]JJ Sauce, James Q sauce are the ones that stick out in my memory as being special. Sweet Baby Rays is a very tasty commercially avaiable sauce.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JavaBen
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the insight; will look forward to cooking these, as well as the oysters that Gretl posted. [p]Looking for some type of smaller screen in lue(?) of the rosemary and/or lemon grass.[p]JavaBen

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    JavaBen, I'm doing a few country style ribs this afternoon - check out the link below and do a search for ribs - you'll find several nethods - many with pictures.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    JavaBen,
    What about those grill-topper woks with holes in them.
    I just did scallops last night with geen onions and a sauce, and it works very nicely. Lots of smoke flavor, good browning.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JavaBen
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Grill topper woks - that's a new one on me. I'll have a look into them.[p]Funny you did scallops last night; that's what I'm making tonight, but on the stove - Angel Hair Pasta Scallops. [p]What did you put the scallops on (or in) in the BGE? Times, temps?[p]JavaBen
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    JavaBen,
    I marinated the scallops in melted butter, peanut oil, rice wine, sugar, oyster sauce, hoisin, chili paste, soy, pepper, scallions. Marinated for an hour. Cooked on my grill topper wok preheated to about 375 for about 10 or 12 minutes, turning once. They were browned nicely, but still very juicy inside.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JavaBen
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Tell me more about this 'grill topper wok'. Is this something sold by the BGE company, or something I would buy at Home Depot?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    JavaBen,
    I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, or Linens and Things. Have also seen it at BBQ Galore. It is square shaped, with a flat bottom and slopes on 4 sides to form a "bowl". It is enameled with this black coating, and has holes perforated all through it. I am guessing the holes are 1/8 inch in diameter, and spaced a half inch apart, but I don't have it in front of me.[p]Not too hard to clean. Easy at low temps. For higher temps I use the grill pam spray, and sometimes a coat of peanut oil.[p]Works great for stir-smoking veggies too. For example I have thrown some snow peas, onions, red peppers and mushrooms in the wok. Coat them in a sauce...teryaki, or whatever you like. They cook up nicely with a light smoke flavor.[p]One of my best eggcessories.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • SpiceCooks
    Options
    JavaBen,
    The best method by far for "falling off of the bone tender is GFW's 3-2-1 method. Try it. You'll like it!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_05_9920_33_01.jpg
    <p />SpiceCooks, can't take the credit - it belongs to George T - but, I have enjoyed the ribs - they truely do fall off the bone without being mushy! [p]SpiceCooks, have you tried 'Country Ribs' - did about 3lbs tonight, wife ate 1-1/2, the rest are history - so good![p]Have a great evening.[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JavaBen,
    Just recovering from a nap..after the wiffy who hates mustard and I wiped out two racks of pork loin back ribs. She ate half :-)[p] They were crusty, juicy, had a deep red almost ham like appearance to the meat, and for the most part slipped off the bone. On at 4:30 p.m. Off at 7:30 p.m.[p] I used Char-Crust Hickory and Molasses dusted on a coating of frenches mustard. Nice thick butts on em! Life is a joy with a plate full of ribs..!! [p]I wonder still how Gfw makes those sweet taters..I gotta do em again.
    C~W