Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to smoke some ribs this weekend, but will not be able to serve them the day I cook them (I'll be taking them to some friends a day or two later). While I know that you can't beat eating smoked ribs right from the BGE, I was wondering if anyone has figured out the best way to reheat ribs after being refrigerated.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Frank M,
    Last night, I made some smoked Slovenian Sausage with Tabasco chips and Mrs. Dogs Disappearing Mustard for dipping. When the sausages were almost done, I tossed on some remaining ribs that were left over from Saturday night. They warmed up nicely and tasted great. The dome temp was around 325. The meat was a little drier than Saturday but was still good. I even had the cutting board scraps wrapped in foil and heated them as well. One thing that may have helped that the ribs just had rub on them.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• clareb
    clareb Posts: 1
    Options
    Frank M, No BGE at your friend's house? This worked with smoked pork loin: sliced, in a doubled disposable aluminum pan, with a little thined dipping sauce in bottom. Put pan on their gas grill set on low to warm up. Thirteen people, nine pounds of pork gone. 'Course these guys'll eat anything.[p]
  • TOROLNSTND
    Options
    Frank M,
    Wrap in foil when they come off the Egg and when they've cooled down to slightly warm, place in plastic freezer bags and straight into the freezer. When travelling to destination pack em in ice to keep good and cold til about an hour before you want to heat em up. Thaw at room temp for about an hour or until they are just soft enough to force a very sharp knife through. Slice into singles and throw em on a medium hot gas or charcoal grill (as it doesn't sound like your Egg is accomanying you on the trip) about 4 minutes/side, all 4 sides, optionally mopping the top on each turn. I've found that Fridge storage gives the broken down fats too much opportunity to run out of the meat and toughens up the meat some. For those that don't mind singed knuckles, put the frozen foil pack right over medium coals for ten minutes, then open the foil and raise the heat, slice and mop or brown the rack whole for a few more minutes.
    A little gas-grill trick (for lava or ceramic briquettes) is to heat the whole grill on full blast for 10-15 minutes, shut down one side as you place the ribs on that side, then when you turn, alternate sides, always heating over the hottest rocks but not over the flame until you want it. This doesn't work with those flavorizer bars though, as those things are almost always cool to the touch.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Frank M,
    I've had good results with putting the racks on a cookie sheet and put them in a 250F oven for about 45 minutes. Sauce them when you put them in if you like.
    JimW

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Frank M,
    I always just wrap tightly in foil and heat in either the oven or toaster oven at about 300° for about 30 mins..retains most of the moistness and all the flavor...and smells pretty damn good when heating up also..[p]Wess

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    JimW,[p]I do the same: whole racks, meat side up, heated at 250 until they're hot but not sizzling. I don't sauce my ribs and they've never tasted reheated or dry - but sauce surely wouldn't hurt![p]Frank, you might want to stop the initial cooking about 1/2 hour before they're done. This will give you a buffer against overcooking. Cool completely and wrap tightly in foil. Let them sit, wrapped, at room temp for an hour or so before putting them (unwrapped) in the oven. [p]Cathy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Sorry, long day...I fridge them after wrapping in foil, but let them come to room temp before reheating.
  • BillB
    BillB Posts: 26
    Options
    Frank M, I think reheated ribs taste wonderful. Mine usually go from "pull off the bone" to almost "fall off the bone" in the process, but I've never reheated more than a 1/4 rack at a time and that was in the microwave. This Sunday my brother is deep frying a couple turkeys and I'm doing some racks of babybacks to take over to my folks place. I'm doing them that morning so I don't intend to reheat, but we'll see.