Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Butt fat up or down?

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a short debate with a couple of experienced fellow eggers last night. The discussion was whether to put the fat side up or down when slow cooking something like a Boston Butt.[p]The first contention was from a guy that cooks at about 350 degrees "until its done". His view is fat side down so it hits the drip pan (and I guess cooks back up as the drippngs evaporate). He covers the top of the meat side with aluminum foil and does not use any rub.[p]The second contention was from a guy that slow cooks at around 250 degrees for about 2.5 hours per pound. His view is fat side up and let the juices run over and through the meat, keeping it basted and moist. He doesn't cover the meat with anything and he does use a rub.[p]I was wondering what opinons are from the forum on which way to put the fat side as well as use of aluminum foil on top. I think the one guy said he uses aluminum foil to cut down on the bark.[p]Comments?[p]BHFG

Comments