Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lifespan of the Big Green Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to let you know that my father-in-law bought a Big Green Egg for me back in the early seventies and I'm still using it today.
I've bought a few parts for it over the years, but not too many. I just ordered my second firebox, and I think I've gotten two or three of those things you put the charcoal on. The only other part I replaced was the clay top because about fifteen years ago, after one too many beers, I opened the lid with the top still on and it fell and broke. How many things does anybody own for nearly thirty years of weekly use? I keep it under an overhang, but have never covered it in all these years. By the way, it cooks everything from steaks to burgers, fish to ribs,chicken to pork roasts, better than anything.It's faster too.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Warren Jones,
    Wow! I did make a good investment. That should go over into the testimonials right at the top![p]Thanks

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Warren Jones, although you may not notoice it, your BGE is different from today's BGE. Since the early 70's BGE has greatly improved their manufacturing and instead of clay they use a high temperature ceramic. Same design and it doesn't make it cook any better but it certainly does help in its longevity. The fact that you have gotten thirty years out of it is a testimonial to how good the BGE is but unfortunately for those of us who like to buy the latest and greatest of everything, these new guys ought to last 50-100 years at least. We have no reason to buy a new BGE (just another BGE.) I'm afraid I'll be long gone by the time my BGE goes. But maybe my kids can be sending in a testimonial like this in 50 years or so! :-)