Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't try this at home...

Options
Cat
Cat Posts: 556
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks -[p]I made a dumb mistake tonight, and hope a full confession might save some of you from doing the same.[p]My last two cooks were direct (baby backs & butterflied chicken), which left a lot of drippings on the leftover lump. For tonight's indirect (leg of lamb), I got lazy - just stirred up the old coals and added some new.[p]What I got was loads of billowing smoke throughout the cook. The lamb was perfectly medium rare and reasonably tasty, but had a slightly acrid smokiness that overshadowed the mustard/garlic/soy/rosemary marinade. Good thing I had hungry guests! [p]Next time I go direct I'll burn down the leftover lump before cooking something else.[p]Cathy

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, dang good advice, comin from a girl!! :-)
    Good to see one of our prime time gals from the distant months back again. I have missed ya!!
    C~W

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Cat:[p]Fortunately, I have avoided this problem. I let my cookers go at a reduced setting for a few minutes prior to shutting them down. Plus I let the new fire burn till the cooker is preheated prior to starting a cook. In doing so I use more lump but I have a clean fire when I cook.[p]Sorry you had the problem, hope your talents otherwise distracted your guests!
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Good tips. I've had this problem a few times when I've been lazy. Good to see some simple steps to help avoid the problem.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cat
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]
    Hmmph. Prime time? I heard I was one of the OLDEST girls on the forum.[p]Just funnin ya - I wouldn't be 25 again for anything! Hope all's well out there in the heartland.[p]Cathy

• Cat
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]It probably would have been okay if I'd been cooking low and slow, but I do lamb at 350.[p]Once burned, etc.[p]Cathy
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Cat, Excellent ovservation! I have had the same thing happen to me but I never put two and two together :). What you say makes perfect sense and I will try (?) to remember it later. But, I have noticed sometimes I get a lot of smoke from the coals, other times not, but i wasn't smart enough to figger out why. :)
    Thanks for the wake up.
    Later,
    ChefRD

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, oh yes you would (25) and you know it :-)
    Just think, if you could do ribs then, like you do now, how famous you would be..shucks.that only be 14 years back??
    C~W

• Cat,[p]Have done the same thing when I previously grilled fish, and I had to let 1/2 the lump burn away before the fish smell was gone. Good advice as well as djm's.[p]regards,[p]Jeff