Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Crowd...What to cook????

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a crowd of about 25 coming over this weekend and I need meat suggestions on what to cook. Butts have always been a big hit but I'd like to change it up. Is it possible to cook enough ribs on a Lg to feed this many people, or can they be cooked ahead of time and reheated? I'm lost.......any other suggestions are appreciated.[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Mark,[p]I've had good results doing ribs ahead. I've vacuum packed them for a week, and just frozen for a day. I've taken them off just before they're finished. Then, I defrost them the day to serve, and put them on the Egg with about 275 dome. After 15 minutes, glaze, and finish in 10 to 15. Having enough for 25 at once might be hard. Maybe do one batch, and keep warm in oven, while re-heating more?[p]Or maybe a mix of ribs and PP. PP seems to me to be even better the next day.[p]Cold beers available make a wait more tolerable, even in the presence of rib smoke.[p]gdenby

• Unknown
    Options
    Mark,
    We have 2 very large(50-60) pool parties every year. I serve ribs at one of them. I pre-cook the ribs a week or two ahead of time and seal them in foodsaver bags without sauce. I prefer the sauce flavor on the meat not in it. It also allows for people who prefer no sauce. Then I freeze them until the party.[p]On the day of the party, depending on when you want to eat I put the bags in a pot or roaster full of hot water. Then I pull them, slice and sauce. If you want your sauce heated on the grill then heat them in pot, pull slab out of bag, then hit the EGG for a few minutes while saucing.[p]I do the exact same thing with pulled pork. It allows me to heat as needed and freeze what's left without ever taking them out of the bag. There is rarely any food that gets wasted for sitting out for hours this way.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    One thing that's a real crowd pleaser...especially a crowd that likes pork...is a fresh smoked ham...Like a lot of folks I always smoke a fresh ham for Easter...and then wonder why I don't do them more often...They're very inexpensive...Inject with some applejuice...cut a diamond pattern across the fat cap...cover with a thin coat of mustard..cover generously with your favorite dry rub...and then cook indirect 350 dome temp til' done...and done is about 155 internal meat temp...let sit for about 20 - 30 minutes before slicing...Can't go wrong..and it's E-Z[p]Just an idea....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Mark,
    I have done this several times.
    I start out doing the 3,1,1 method but there are changes. I start with about 5- 6 full racks. I set up a indirect cook, the racks on their edges and use a dome temp of 250, no less no more. I let them go for 3 hours, I then remove them to a 3-4 deep alum pan, I cut the full racks in half at this point. I cover the ribs lightly with the "sauce of the day" or what ever you will use at the end. Not too much as you done want to over do and steam the ribs. I then put the covered alum pans in the a Direct Egg setup and rotate top to bottom every 15 minutes to keep the ribs from burning, for an hour or so. I remove the covered pans and let them rest on the counter for about an hour. Next into the refrigerator they go till the day of grilling. On that day of grilling I set the house oven to 175 and just warm the ribs up for about an hour or less, just enough so the harden fat melts. Transport these to your final grilling spot. Now the ribs are ready for the final grilling and saucing. Just grill and sauce the ribs as needed. Like I said I have done this before and days ahead, the most I did were 18 racks over 3 days.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Mark,[p]Last weekend I had a party like you're having. I did a modest amount of ribs, and also had a "packer cut" brisket.[p]The crowd went wild over the brisket! Give it a try![p]Chuck