Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

over-smoking? and flavor??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am new to the egg...been cookin for about two months...i add alot of wood chunks...my question is can you over smoke too much?[p]and nother question i have is...i was told that the egg develops its own flavor the longer you cook in it...i used a 9 x 9 TEFLON coated pan for indirect cooking...it all burned off (teflon)but i smoked some chicken legs tonight and they are beautiful...but the taste is very strong (smoke) falvor and pungent as well...was this a bad move and if so what do i do?
thankyou

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    stephen,
    First off ..... teflon should not be heated above 500 degrees or it starts to vaporize which ain't good for you. Best advice is NO TEFLON in the Egg.[p]Secondly .... chicken sucks up smoke to a greater extent than anything else so one has to go light with smoke with chicken.

• bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    Options
    stephen,[p]I sometimes only add one small wood chunk (maybe half the size of a bar of soap) to a bunch of chicken cooking on my large egg and I get all the smoke flavor I want. I do not soak the chunk either.
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    stephen,
    Make sure that you are letting the charcoal burn for a while before adding the food. The smoke should not be white, more of a blueish color. I made this mistake early on and will make the food taste bad . I started small with the smoke by adding small pieces of wood and slowly started adding more.