Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little about the egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to smoking/slow cooking. I've read where some BBQ recipes call for a slow, consistant cook between 225-250 degrees for 6 - 10 hours at a clip. Can this product do something like that? Is the heat consistant and easy to maintain or do I constantly have to watch over it?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Joe,
    I have done boston butts at those temps for as long as 26 hours and still had lump charcoal left..and yes once you get the hang of the adjustments it is very easy to maintain temps, including overnight...read through the posts on this forum and I`m sure all your questions will be answered..it`s an awesome cooker[p]Wess

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    Joe,
    I cook my brisket and pork shoulders at 200 for 20 hours and 250 for the last 2 hours without ever opening the lid (a digital probe thermometer eliminates the need for opening to check the meat temp). Even after 22 hours of cooking, better than 2/3 of my original lump charcoal remains in the Egg. The Egg is fairly consisitent in maintaining the temps without much supervision, although sudden weather and atmospheric changes can facilitate the need for some quick minor adjustments. I'm lucky, I only live 5 miles from where I work, so on weekdays I have no problem getting home at lunchtime to check on things. On average, once I get the cook started, I check up on it in 4 to 6 hour intervals with little or no change in cooking temps.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Joe,[p]I think the answers below show that the answer to your questions are a resounding YES IT CAN & CONSISTANT AND EASY![p]If you get an Egg or something else, but start coming to the forum on a regular basis, may I suggest a handle for you based on your initial post - "LoSloeJoe".[p]In any event I hope you find the que'n equipment you need and come back here ofter for help and sharin what you learnt with us as well.[p]Jethro
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Joe, It is an ideal low and slow cooker, thanks to the temperature holding ability of the ceramic. Much better than any metal cooker I've been able to afford. (I've used my Egg not only overnight, but in rain and snow - I can hardly wait for winter!)