Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Backstraps (filet mingon for all the non hunters)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Venison backstraps marinated in balsamic vinegar and tons of chopped garlic. 550 dome temp, 5 minutes per side, closed the vents and let sit for another 10...I was very surprised at how moist the meat stayed. My daughters ate moer than I did...[p]100_1235.jpg[p]100_1236.jpg

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    BBQ Brian,
    I had the same for dinner this evening too. I marinated mine in Pineapple Juice, Worchestshire Sauce, Mustard, soy sauce, red pepper and black pepper. [p]We cooked ours with 3 hickory nuts for smoke flavor and steady stabilized temp at 355 on a direct heat raised grid. [p]MMMMMmmm, I only have 3 more backstraps left![p]Banker John

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Banker John,
    had some a couple weeks ago. sounds like yours wasn't thirty bucks like mine was....[p]i need to start hunting!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    stike,
    As a hunter I can verify for you that it costs less at the meat market. Don't even start adding up the costs to go hunting. lol

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    stike,
    If you hunted it would be $100 or more, believe me.
    Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • stike
    Options
    Popsicle,
    hahahaha[p]good point!

• stike
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    yeah
    you are right.[p]
    i used to hunt WAAAAY bak when (17 or so). i wasn't attributing the costs of drinking all that beer in a van to the total cost, plus gas, etc.

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    stike,
    Or the costs of a hunting lease, license & permits, wepon, special cloting, equipment......it don't end.

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    stike,
    Not to mention that the better half get to spend the same amount shopping as I do hunting/fishing/golf.
    Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    Oh please... do not remind me of the cost of meat harvested while hunting. At last look, I believe it was in the hundreds of dollars - per OUNCE !!! LOL And that is before the cost of "camp lube". [p]Banker John[p]
    ps - Camp Lube is that liquid beverage that is designed to pass the time while telling lies around a camp fire.