Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broiling on the Egg..

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,[p]My sister broiled some chicken in her oven the other night. It was great. Salt, Pepper and Cinnamon. I was shocked.[p]I want to do it on the egg, but am not sure of the temps an over gets at 'broiling' temperature.[p]Any help or thoughts?[p]Thanks!
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Wardster,[p] Oven Broilers are around 500 degs., but broilers on concentrate on the top side. Upside down Grilling :)[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Wardster,
    you want to cook under a pizza stone heated up to about 500 degrees dome, it will be much hotter under that stone. its the only way that ive found the egg to broil things from above, it will roast from the heat of the dome, but it doesnt broil. with 2 eggs you could heat the stone higher and put it on another rack in your other lower temp egg which would make an even better broiling type situation.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]This is interesting. Clarification, please. How do you set up the stone? Invert a platesetter, place food, then pizza stone? Grill, fire bricks, stone? [p]gdenby

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    gdenby,
    two eggs is easy, partially cook, add raised grate, put stone from very hot egg onto your setup. another way is to reverse trex food by partially cooking, take it off the grill into a pan, heat egg to much hotter with stone, add food under stone by removing it and adding food or slipping food under stone on a very raised grill. ive only tried it a couple of times with mixed results but its getting better. been trying to crisp seafood casserole on top and its getting closer. old dave brought this up years ago in a description of one of his cooks. another way is to heat a castiron pan up on the stove and place it directly on a spatchcocked chicken, essex county does this to crisp things up.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I find the notion of moving a stone that hot a little intimidating. But perhaps I'll try heating up my dutch oven lid and placing that just above my next chicken.[p]Next time you do this, maybe you could post an image?[p]gdenby

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    fishlessman, I know one egghead who just started using pizza stones on the adjustable rig to roast chicken. He competes on one of the bbq circuits. He's excited with good result, best showing so far is second place. [p]I must admit I'm intrigued by the idea of high temp roasting or broiling on the Rig. Hopefully he reads this thread and provides us a technique or two. [p]T[p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chef
    Chef Posts: 7
    Options
    Wardster, isn't broiling just "grilling" upside down? So it would be the same temps I would think....

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Broiling on the Egg? Your clever answers always amaze me. Maybe we should call you "fishlessyoda".
    Big'un

• Unknown
    Options
    gdenby,
    orka oven mitts and you'll be tossing that stone like a frisbee