Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for non fishy fish

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you fish lovers recommend some fish that are not real fishy tasting. I do eat smoked salmon and canned tuna but that's it. I also remember trying a small piece of halibut but is was a long time ago. Also I do not wish to fight with a lot of bones.
Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
New Bob

Comments

• Bigbawb
    Bigbawb Posts: 11
    Options
    New Bob,Most "non -fishy" tasting varietiesthat are very mild and light are cod ,haddock,pollock,monkfish,and flounder! I like to bake a seafood casserole by taking about 3/4 lb haddock,1/2 lb med.shrimp(tails removed) and 1/2 lb scallops. Place in an oven safe dish,all cut in bite-sized chunks,next,reduce 1 1/2 cups of red wine(like arbor mist strawberry zinfindel) and a 1/2 pint of light cream blended together-reduce by half in a saucepanover medium heat-pour sauce over fish and cover entire surface with one sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers -add a few pats of butter to the top and cook indirect in your egg for about 40 minutes @300 degrees or firm.this is an awesome dish that will make everyone want seconds!! Good Luck!!

• RAK
    RAK Posts: 27
    Options
    New Bob,
    Orange Roughy is a wonderful, light, sweet fish.

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    New Bob,
    A few favorites, Halibut, Swordfish, Shark, Salmon, and Albacore Tuna. If you want REALLY fishy fish, then bonita is the order of the day!

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    New Bob,
    If you live in the northeast, you might wanna try scrod. It's actually very young cod or haddock, with a sweet taste similar to lobster. Arctic Char is another sweet tasting fish. Try some shellfish; scallops, oysters, shrimp, lobster, crab or clams. Oysters and clams I just roast, set em over a medium hot fire (400-450) with the deepest part of the shell down, as soon as they pop open, they're done. Roast lobster and crabs are delicious also, just remember to kill the lobster first by driving a large sharp knife down through the back of it's head, (he'll come with a natural crosshair where you're supposed to strike). I marinate scallops and shrimp in roughly 3/4 cup soy sauce with 1/2 cup white wine, 2 tbsp honey and 1/2 tsp crushed garlic. Let them soak at least 2 hours or overnight, skewer the shrimp or wrap the each scallop in a slice of center cut bacon and skewer. Grill em up medium high and enjoy.

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    Rak,[p]And a great marketing story. "Orange Roughy" used to be a throwaway nuisance fish known as "Slimehead". The fishers renamed it and it's been a runaway success.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,
    The last time I was in Boston, I asked the cab driver where I could get scrod and he said that he had heard that question 1000 times before, but never in the pluperfect subjunctive. [p]Sorry, very old joke......[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    New Bob,
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the absolute best fresh water fish. The Walleyed Pike and his smaller counter part Perch (a pan fish delight). Both can be filleted with absolutly no bones. They're best when caught in colder waters; spring, winter and late fall. Pan fry in butter with salt & pepper to taste, WHOW!
    Next best is Salmon and Swordfish.
    Just my 2 cents.
    B D

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, I had a follow up to that one "pluperfect subjunctive" but I dare not do it. :-)
    C~W
    Not my day today..heeeyaaaa!!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, and I thought I was the only one who knew that bad joke.

• New Bob,[p]As I scan the responses others have given, there are many good suggestions as to kind of fish. Not mentioned (unless I missed it): take your pick--halibut, sea bass, trout, salmon, whatever---the secret to non-fishiness is FRESHNESS. Fish that's fishy is likely NOT fresh. Go to a good butcher/fishmonger (in my opinion, NOT CostCo). You may have to pay a bit more, but you get what you pay for, and the taste of fresh fish is entirely worth it.

• New Bob,[p]The father of an old girlfriend of mine used to give me these big ole 6-7 lb striped base all the time. I would filet them and cut the dark meat out of the middle. I always cut them up in small pieces and pan fried 'em. I had several people who thought they were chicken...how's that for non-fishy. [p]But as some of the other posts have mentioned...these were VERY fresh...that's probably the key.

• New Bob,[p]As a former non-fish eater, I was looking for "non-fishy fish" to try out some of my recipes. [p]I found my favorite, least-fishy fish were Mahi Mahi (dolphin) and farm-raised catfish... That is, before I discovered that I liked fish of all sorts. And, yes, as long as it is fresh.[p]ssclaire