Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Weekend...Chef RD's Wings...Tomatoes...Beets...Mussels

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I egged myself nearly to death this weekend! Started out with a big double batch of Chef RD's Wings on Saturday. They are GREAT. Dan's asking for them frequently, so I thought I'd get a leg-up and make enough to freeze some. But, you guessed it...they're GONE. Thanks, Chef RD, for the great recipe![p]Sunday's marathon...I sliced the tomatoes that I mentioned on Friday's post and made a three-tier contraption with some foil-wrapped beets sitting on a couple of firebricks, and two pizza pans of quarter-inch tomato slices stacked above that. I had to dismantle it after about an hour and a half to remove the beets. I left the tomatoes in until they were "leathery" in texture; the Egg was about 250-275. I have them in ziplock bags in the freezer. They're very tasty; nice and smoky and very richly flavored. These will be a good addition to soups, dressings, and anything else that needs a tomato kick. I recommend using up any ripe Roma tomatoes in this way.[p]Now...the mussels. I cleaned a two-pound bag of mussels and spread them on one layer in a pan to which I added about a half-cup (well, maybe a little more) of white wine. Enough that I was pretty sure wouldn't burn dry. I cranked the Egg up to about 375 and put the pan on the firebricks. It took perhaps a half an hour, which was a half-hour from Hell...the sky opened up and there was a deluge. A frog-strangler. There was no way I was checking Humpty without goggles and swim-fins. When the mayhem died down, I ventured forth with my umbrella and potholders and brought in a tray of the best-tasting mussels we ever had! They were juicy and tender, completely cooked through, and just smoky enough to be real interesting. Give this one a try, folks. It's just TOO easy and absolutely wonderful if you're a mussel fan. By the way, the juice was good, too. Next time I'll add couple of branches of fresh thyme and maybe a little hot pepper. But it can't be much of an improvement, because this was just great! Humpty came through like a trooper, as usual.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Frog strangler. That's a new one to me.
    The mussles sound fantastic. Would clams work the same way?[p]

• Gretl
    Options
    char buddy ,
    I don't see why not. They'd be great!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I'll be tryin' your mussel recipe, it sounds wonderfull. Can I take credit for gettin you thinkin about mussels on the Green One?[p]Way to Go!
    Jethro

• Gretl
    Options
    Jethro,
    Well, yes...sort of. I had originally (like about a year or more ago!) thought about smoking mussels, because the oysters turned out so well. Then I was distracted...you know, life got in the way. When I saw your post about mussels, it just gave me that much-needed boot in the rear. Yay! So many ideas, so little time....[p]Thanks! Please, by all means, take all the credit you want. I'll tip a glass of something cold in your general direction tonight![p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Thanks for the tippin' at me. That is something I've been neglecting (ST and Cornfed - don't hate me for this oversight) maybe I can tip a cold one back in your direction tonight.[p]Thanks for coming up with the cook method - it should be a winner.[p]Silly Jethro questions - when you say in a pan, was this a frying pan or more like a pot and with or without lid on?[p]I assume they were left in shell to cook, correct?[p]Thanx,
    Jethro[p]