Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any other avocado whores out there??

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i can't get enough of the damn things. . .and they are really nice and ripe at my grocers right now. ..i eat a whole one with dinner, and i find they go good with pretty much anything. . .i grilled up some simple chicken breasts the other night to have along side a big salad ...cut up a whole avacodo and put it on the salad. ..ended up that i kept taking bites of the avocado along with my bites of chicken instead.. ..dang it was good. ..did the same thing with t-rexed tri-tip last night. .. bite of avocado and triptip on the fork at the same time. . .i was in heaven ... [p]mad "i bow to the great avocado god" max

Comments

• schley
    schley Posts: 35
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Yeah, they got me too.. Love them sliced with lime juice in the am...
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Great little green eggs. Here in florida we call the large ones "Alligator Pears"
    Here is a site that has lots of info.

[ul][li]http://www.avocado.org/recipes[/ul]
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Reminded me of my ex MIL. Great southern cook. Miss the food![p]Pie, Key Lime, Avocado, Betty's
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    2 Large Avocados, Peeled/Seeded
    2 Tsp. Grated Lime Rind
    1/2 Cup Lime Juice
    1 14Ozs. Condensed Milk, Sweetened
    1 9" Pie Shell, Baked

Procedure:
    1 Run avocado meat through sieve, should be 1 1/2-2 cups. Stir in lime juice, condensed milk. Pour into pie shell. Chill several hours. Top with whipped cream to serve.

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Author: Betty Robertson[p]Source: Betty Robertson, 08/09/82

[p]

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    If you make BLT sandwiches, or even chicken or roast beef sandwiches, spread a nice layer of creamy avocado on one of the bread slices (salt it) and use the other bread slice for the mayo, preferably Chipoltle Mayo.

Judy in San Diego
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]By themselves, I cross hatch each half, them add some Tony C's and lemon juice.[p]A smoked turkey, bacon and avocado sandwich is one of my favorites.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Grill them! Grilled avacados are awesome -- make a salad of grilled avocados, ripe mango, arugula, and a dressing with fish sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, and peanut oil.[p]Matt
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Matt or anyone else,[p]Not meaning to hijack Max's thread...... but how about some recipes on grilled avacados? I'll start off.[p]Peel, remove the pit, leave in halves or cut to quarters. Brush with a little extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Oil a grill rack, I like the ones called disposable, and grill 60 to 90 seconds per side. The balsamic will just caramelize. Serve with lemon wedges or grate some parmesan or Maytag Blue cheese on them. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I've got my own tree - I guess that makes me a complete whore![p]There's nothing better in a hot Queensland summer than halving an avocado and filling it with chilled seafood - prawns (shrimp to you lot) and crab meat.[p]A sprinkle of cracked black pepper, a squeeze of fresh lime and maybe a little drizzle of sweet chilli sauce are all that's needed.[p]
    The beer needs to be very, very cold.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    An Egg Downunder,
    Alright, I can't stand them. But that sounds good. I need pics and more details.[p]Mike

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    In most of central America they use it as butter on toast and such because of poor refrigeration.[p]cheers, Glenn

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Next time you make a tuna salad sandwich put some slices of avacado on top or chop them up in the salad....yummy.....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Max Moses would have something to say to you about your signature line :>)[p]Avacado Egg Rolls at Cheesecake Factory got me hooked. They used to have a fantastic guacamole at Sams but the jerks switched venders.[p]I'm with ya but I've never bought a avocado to slice and serve with food though.....

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    An Egg Downunder,[p]Qld avos are quite good, but have you had the Hass variety? They are my favorite for their full flavor and silky texture. Grown, I believe, mainly in California, Mexico, Chile and NZ, but plantations are turning up in various other places. Perhaps at a farm near you![p]Smaller, so you can't fit Qld prawns in, but quite a sensational avo.[p]BTW, Vegemite started being imported to the US again about 6 months ago.[p]Ahhhhh.....[p]Relief.[p]Cheers,[p]DD
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thanks everyone for some great avocado tips . ..[p]i too love the eggrolls at cheescake factory . .great stuff. . .[p]and as much as i can't stand ida garten (the barefoot contessa), her first book has a great endive and avocado salad recipe. . .[p]i might have to try the grilled thing as well ...never thought of that one. .. [p]this is why i love this forum so much :)

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I love them to, my dad introduced me to them when I was about four. We used to just spoon them out of the half shell. My daughter in Calif. has a huge one growing in her back but is allergic to them.

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]Hass are also grown in North Queensland. Thanks to the Kiwis we now have a reasonably priced supply all year round.[p]Promise me you'll try Vegemite and lamb - Here's a link to the recipe:[p]

[ul][li]http://www.bbqblue.com.au/smoke_woods/site_files/cordon_blue_roasting_lamb.html[/ul]
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    An Egg Downunder,[p]As you know, I love lamb. Especially the fresh, boneless legs we get from Oz.[p]This will be my next lamb roast. Which hardwood chips do you favor?[p]Many thanks![p]DD
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    thirdeye,
    What do you mean by a disposable grill rack? I'm not familiar with that.[p]Thanks,
    Gwen