Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Brisket and My First

NU2BBQ
NU2BBQ Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been egging for 2 years now and love it. This forum has been extremely helpful as I am new to low and slow style cooking. Just picked up a 14# brisket today. It's quite thick. Should I plan on 2 hr/lb? Should I marinate it or spray it from time to time to keep it from drying out? I am thinking that this beast will take approx 28 hrs.[p]Thanks in advance

Comments

• NU2BBQ, my advice is to buy Dr.BBQ's first cookbook, follow recipe, and it will come out GREAT!

• NU2BBQ,
    can't offer much help...I've just lit the egg for my first overnight cook with a 13 lb brisket...my plan is to separate the point when the flat is done and cook it more, while the flat is held in cooler. as has often been suggested here...the 6 lb. flat I did a couple weeks ago was done way faster than 2 hrs per pound...guess I'll find out in real time...good luck to us both!

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    NU2BBQ,
    No, allow about 1.5 hours per pound. Make sure you trim it up real good. Keep the point attached until after you pull from the cooler unless you want burnt ends then you can separate after it's cooked.
    On the fat, you can feel how hard the fat is. Cut that down until it is more tender.

• NU2BBQ
    Thanks for the info. I'll get this thing going on Sat morning and sometime Sunday I'll see what I get.

• NU2BBQ,
    See a few posts below for more on my happy outcome. My 13# brisket was perfectly done in 15 hours, internal temp 185, cooked at 250 dome/225 grid. (I did not trim it, cooked fat side down indirect over legs-up place setter and a drip pan.) Then it rested two hours in a cooler. I ended up not putting the point back on for longer, just shredded it for mixing with bbq sauce. The point had not rendered out as much fat as it could, but it was sure tasty. Good luck...let us know how yours turns out!
    Calibrad

• NU2BBQ,
    oops, my other post I refer to will obviously be above this thread...

• NU2BBQ
    Calibrad,
    I put my brisket on at 11:30 this morning. Indirect setup, grid temp 230'. Meat temp was 37' when I put it on and now 7 hours later meat temp is 161'. I am nervous about going to bed tonight for fear that the brisket will be done during the night. I was planning on it being done around 9 am or later given the 1 1/2 hr per pound rule and my past experience with Butts taking longer than planned. Time will tell. Anyone ever had brisket for breakfast?

• NU2BBQ,
    brisket for breakfast...yum! guess you never can tell exactly how long that 160 degree plateau will last...you might be needing a 2am alarm check! good luck, thanks for the update...

• NU2BBQ
    I put my brisket on at 11:30 Saturday morning. Indirect setup, grid temp 230'. Meat temp was 37' when I put it on and 7 hours later meat temp was 161'. I was nervous about going to bed last night for fear that the Brisket would be done during the night. I was planning on it being done around 9 am or later given the 1 1/2 hr per pound rule and my past experience with Butts taking longer than planned. So I dozed off and on, on the couch all night waking to check the temp.,(I could have have gone to bed knowing what I know now). At 6:30 this morning, Sunday, the meat temp was 191' and it passed the fork test so off it came and into foil for several hours. This cooked faster than I anticipated, like it has been stated before no two pieces cook the same. Anyone ever had brisket for breakfast?

• NU2BBQ,
    sounds like a success. hope it tasted great. thanks for sharing the outcome. I guess uncertainty in timing is part of the 'magic' of the egg!

• NU2BBQ
    calibad,
    I would say the flat was just on the edge of being a little overcooked and the point made some great burnt ends. Nevertheless 7 of us had our fill and I still have some leftovers. Not a single complaint, and a request to do another one some time.

• NU2BBQ,
    congratulations!