Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Pork Loin

IlliniEgger
IlliniEgger Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to do my first whole pork loin. Direct or indirect -which is the best route to go? Looking for times and temps both ways. Prep wise I am just going to use a Dizzy Pig rub and wrap with bacon.[p]Thanks for the help.
IlliniEgger

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    IlliniEgger,[p]I usually cook a whole pork loin indirect. (I cook tenderloins direct). Indirect at 325 degrees takes me anywhere from 75-100 minutes to get to 145 degrees internal temperature. Then I tent with foil and rest for about 15 minutes. Sometimes I flip once, other times I leave it alone. With the bacon, you will want a drip pan or foil tray underneath to catch the drippings so you don't have bad smoke.[p]If I were to cook a bacon-wrapped pork loin direct, I would go with a raised grid and lowet the temperature to 300 degrees. Flip 2-3 times, trying to rotate it so all the bacon faces the fire for a while to crisp. It might take about the same time considering direct heat at a lower temp.[p]Let us know how it turns out!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    ribsandloin.jpg
    <p />IlliniEgger,
    The last time I cooked one. I stuffed with fresh Apricots and cashews, wrapped in bacon at 225-250 indirect.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    How long?
    Thanks

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    IlliniEgger,
    That depends on the size. Even with that info I won't know. All cooks are different. The ribs in the pick took up some time as well. More meat, more time.[p]Mike

• IlliniEgger,
    haven't tried a whole loin, I'd say cook to temp though. Let me know how it turns out. [p]Tim