Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to time brisket and ribs to come off together?

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a big BBQ party tomorrow. I'm cooking a 12 lb. brisket, and 2 spare cut St. Louis style. Using my BGE Large.[p]I'm figuring 16-18 hours for the brisket, and about 6-8 hours for the ribs. I'm planning to put the ribs on a grid extender over the brisket when the time comes.[p]So, it seems like I should cook the brisket for 10 hours, then add the ribs, situated above the brisket in the egg.[p]Has anyone tried this? Any pointers or things to watch out for? I'd hate to ruin both the brisket and the ribs, and have to order KFC take out for the BBQ.[p]Thanks!
Chuck

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Howdy Chuck,[p]Here are a couple of things for thought:[p]I don't know how you feel about subjecting that bark that you have spent 10 hours developing to fresh smoke for a couple of hours for the ribs, but I don't like to do it. You may get some bitterness out of it.[p]I'm a fan of resting whole briskets a long time, like 3 or 4 hours which will be half of your rib cook time. [p]I think I would either wrap it in foil when you add wood and the ribs, and cook it for 2 or 3 hours, then cooler it while the ribs finish. OR Move it to the oven for 2 or 3 hours in a roasting pan (unwrapped), then cooler while the ribs finish. (If you only want to rest the brisket an hour adjust the times). I'm just afraid of what fresh smoke may do to the brisket.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery