Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my little but

Spike
Spike Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
put a small 3# but on at 9:30 this morning. maintained a temp of 250 until 4:00 then move it up to 320 it is now 178. some how it seems to long for a 3# but does'nt it. thanks for any info
spike

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    spike, it should have maxed out somewhere twixt 5 and 6 hours..or a maximum of 2 hours per lb.

• Spike
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the info. Maybe the thermometer in my egg is off so I think I'll take the butt off & see what I've got.
    Its now up to 183 after opening the bottom vent a little while ago.
    Spike

• Char-Woody
    spike, if the temps still risin..its a good sign..When it hits 190 your o,k..take off and eat..or wrap in foil for a half hour to keep it cooking..It should be pullable either way. Enjoy...!!

• Spike
    View?u=1478189&a=11140664&p=53137337
    <p />Char-Woody,
    Well it was 190 & I took it off. It did pull apart easily and was very tender & good.
    Spike

• Spike
    View?u=1478189&a=11140664&p=53137350
    <p />Char-Woody,
    Finished product. I'd make this one again.
    Spike

• Char-Woody
    spike, looking at the pic, I think I see why the longer cook. I like to have my meat much higher over the drip pans and you get a more uniform cook. Down in the pan, as I see yours, it will take much longer.[p]Using your equipment there and the small grill, this is o.k. I do it too. But put the small grill sidways to the pan and then the meat on top. Maybe from my view its a optical illusion and it is higher than the drip pan.
    I usually use something to support a rack 4 inches over the drip pan lip.
    Your in the major leagues now with butts...next time experiment more.. Good job overall...
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    spike, it was time worthwhile..you betcha..thats a nice platter of great looking Pulled pork..some slaw, beans and buns and cold beer..Great eats.
    Thanks for sharing..
    C~W[p]

• Spike
    Char-Woody,
    yes that does make alot of sense having the meat above. mine was below the lip of the drip pan. this was the first time so it was good that i wasnt planing to have it for supper. thanks again spike

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Char-Woody,
    I agree with ya CW. Spike might want to try a shallower drip pan resting on the platesetter below. Otherwise same setup! Looks good. I need to do a couple of those to freeze for lunches....after Spike's picture....now may be the time to visit the butt store![p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ