Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIRST TIME POST

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning from the west coast. I was introduced to the "BIG GFREEN EGG" in 1998 while dating my "GA PEACH" who is from Atlanta. The long distance relationship developed, we married, she and the "EGG" relocated to California. Thanks to the forum I became the "Grill King of the San Joaquin Valley". Over the years I've compiled a 3" thick receipe book just from the forum. Last year I had an end of the summer party for the people in my unit, baby back ribs and pulled pork sandwiches w/cole slaw. Had some trouble conviencing them that slaw makes the sandwich, needless to say they're hooked, and can't wait for the party this October. My "Peach" is back in Atlanta, attending her class reunion and visiting with her family, so last night I had a buddy over for dinner. Did the always perfect 3/1.5/1 method, w/ Jim's Jack Sauce. Brought tears to his eyes. He claims they're the best ribs ever. As all you "EGGERS" know those accolades are made everytime we open the dome. I've located a source for Hickory & Oak lump in the bay area. Most places on the west coast only carry mesquite. I'll be in Atlanta Monday & Tuesday for work, will definitely stop by "BGE". Getting a little long winded, so I'll close with this...Love life & live it to its fullest in happiness and health!
PS. For those wondering,the name West Coast Smokey has two meanings, I'm also a Detective with the Sheriff's Department.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    West Coast Smokey, well, welcome aboard and it's great to have highway jockey on the forum. Just have some sympathy if someone suggests he is in a hurry to get a "BGE"!!
    Your post was a fun read..thanks..Yell out if your in need of anything, but I think from your post, your contributions are also invited. Please share again..![p]Char-Woody[p]BTW...I lived next door to a Iowa Smokey for 30 years, and I can appreciate your service to your state of California.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    West Coast Smokey,
    What is the 3/1.5/1 method I keep seeing? Thanks!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    They're baby back ribs, perfected by fellow "EGGERS" Tim M and Gfw (check the archives).[p]Basically it's as follows:
    3 hours indirect 200-250 degrees
    1.5 hours indirect 200-250 wrapped in foil
    1 hour split between indirect & direct, adding sauce last 30 minutes if desired.

• Char-Woody,
    I'm honored by your quick response, you and Elder Ward are truely the "deacon's" of the forum. I've enjoyed your Firecracker Brats and simple butterflied chicken numerous times. Hope in the future I'll be able to contribute, there is so much knowlege and expierence on this forum. In my line of work we call this an addiction.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    West Coast Smokey,
    I've got a great 12-step program: the 12 steps from the kitchen to the Egg. (Doesn't cure the addiction, but it sure does fuel it!!!) Welcome.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    West Coast Smokey, we are all equal "deacon's" in the Club Egg University..heeeyaaahoooo..Thanks for the kudo's.
    I just happen to be one of the early group. [p]Cheers to ya and a hearty welcome!!
    C~W