Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Report

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I cooked up a whomping big sirloin "roast" for supper. I'd wanted to take a shot at tri-tip, but couldn't find any anywhere in town. One butcher pointed out that they had sirloin steaks on sale for $2.29/lb and, if all I wanted was a large piece of beef to cook, he'd cut a sirloin to order. So I ended up with a 3lb sirloin steak 3" thick. Decided to cut the "roast" tri-tip style at any rate.[p]Fired Humpty up to 600° and seared both sides for 4 minutes each, then closed the vent and daisy wheel completely down (Dome temp eventually dropped to about 300°). Fliped the "roast" every 15 minutes and used a basic mop sauce (1 1/2 cups white wine vineger, salt/pepper to taste, dash of dried onion and red pepper flakes, granulated garlic) after each flip. (Don't forget to "burp" the Egg to prevent fireballing the chef!) After about 45 minutes internal temp was approaching 160°, so I doused the "roast" with Lea & Perrins and did an additional 5 minutes per side. Wonderful![p]With the leftovers, the wife and I are now looking forward to Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches for lunch and some killer hash for breakfast![p]Tonight Mr. Egg will get a little rest as we do stir fried rice and egg rolls with some leftover pork loin from an earlier cook. Yes, I know you can wok on the Egg but we have to use the kitchen stove sometime - grin! [p]Kelly
Jefferson City, MO

Comments

• Kelly Keefe, thats a new approach to a sirloin..I think a top prime sirloin steak is a much overlooked meal. I dig em too. Your cook is a must try! Thanks for idea!
    C~W[p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    That sounds really good, I'll give that one a try fur'sure!
    I've got to ask, why use the stove if you don't have to?
    Outdoor Home makes a wok that fits the Egg. I got one a few months ago and I've had a lot of fun with it. Every time The Little Woman thinks I've hit the limit on fat in my diet I whip out the old wok and it's "health food time!" Then I have an additional excuse to do a pork roast "for stir fry"...she'll say okay every time. Actually, I found that I kind of like stir fried veggies a lot plus it keeps me close to Mr. Egg, and he likes that. We have an on-going relationship, the Egg and I[p]Carey[p]PS If you do get the wok get the 'shovel' they have just scroll down on the page I posted you'll see them.

[ul][li]Wok of your Egg[/ul]