Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What would you do?

Options
Reb
Reb Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, my first butt (actually my second because I tossed my first)was awesome. Now, my family is coming to town this weekend and I am smoking TWO of them (Large BGE). So,
would you place them side by side (with space between) OR stack them (I have a grid extender). If you stack them and they vary in size, does it matter which one goes on top?
Second, I generally use Dizzy Dust but not sure I have enough for both. What other Dizzy Pig rub would you use? (I have most of the others)[p]THX[p]

Comments

• bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    Options
    Reb,[p]Please forgive me.....I know what you are talking about. My nephew was looking over my shoulder when I read your post and got all excited.... I assured him that your post and this site was all about cooking on the big green egg and NOT about body parts(butts), or "hitman stuff" (smoking two of them) or drugs (dizzy dust). I am sorry, but his reaction to your post gave me such a laugh, and when I explained it to him, he laughed even more than I did cuz he has tasted my cooking on the BGE. I need to educate him more in the venacular of the Big Green Egg.
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    Reb,[p]If I'm doing two, I always go side by side with space in between. Using the plate setter, I try to minimize the overhang off the surface of the plate setter.[p]I also put a makeshift drip pan on the plate setter because clean up is easier.[p]For an alternative to DP rub, I'd go with Ragin' River. Never had pork turn out bad with it.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
  • Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Options
    Reb,
    This is one of my favorate sites for recipes. I use it all the time and never went wrong. Playing With Fire and Smoke
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/02/pork-pork-shoulder-butt-picnic.html[p]I go by this recipe for my butts and we all love it here.
    ~thirdeye~ site had done me right and will be useing his tips and recipes for ever. One of my favorate is his Pastrami recipe. Just made two of them. Will post pictures on another post. Side by side when doing two. If on is larger then the other then keep checking on your temps. for both one will be done sooner. Good Luck and enjoy.[p]Pork Butt Mike[p]

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Here are two 10+ pounders sitting side-by-side on my large BGE. Remember, having more than one butt on your BGE will not add significantly to the total cooking time UNLESS you stack them tightly together. Leave a little air space and your times will be close to the time for a single butt. Also, as they cook they will shrink and increase the space between the two butts. So for me, side-by-side makes more sense than stacking.[p]BGE034.jpg[p]Here is a photo of three 8+ pounders on the large BGE.[p]BGE017.jpg[p]It's all good!

• Unknown
    Options
    Reb,
    Side by side if for nothing else the consistancy of the cooking temp. If you have one on the extender it'll be higher up in the dome and cooking at a different temp than the one on bottom.

• Reb
    Reb Posts: 74
    Options
    bobinaz,
    That is too funny!!!!!