Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

walnut for smoking?

Options
Electric Don
Electric Don Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't seen anything by the eggsperts about using walnut wood scraps for smoking. Everything else from the shop - maple, cherry, oak, seems to have a use. Any thoughts about walnut, or should I stay away from it? [p]Electric Don

Comments

• Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 37
    Options
    Electric Don,
    I tried black walnut for smoking once and found it bitter

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Electric Don,
    I agree with Fingers, it would probably not give good results as a smoking wood. I use walnut on occasion in my woodworking hobby and there are times when I can smell the smoke and it doesn't smell good at all. [p]There are too many other good smoking woods out there and when used in combination with each other you virtually have thousands of options available to you.[p]Spring "Some Trees Just Ain't Make For Cook'n With" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Electric Don,
    I've been using the wood of what I assumed was a Black Walnut to make tools (we had to remove one from campus last year). The wood is beautiful and I've been using the bark and small pieces to smoke with. I did pulled pork last week and steaks the other night. I think it's great, but that's just me. To me it has a rich Pecan-like aroma. I like it a lot for beef and pork.[p]Mike

• Electric Don
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Thanks for the reply. The wood smells good in my shop, so I thought it ought to work - apparently many don't agree, though. [p]Don
  • Electric Don
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Sounds like you're in the majority. I sure would hate to mess up a nice roast by using a bad wood. Maybe walnut just belongs in furniture. [p]Thanks for your thoughts on this. [p]Don
  • Electric Don
    Options
    Fingers,[p]Sounds like you and Spring Chicken agree. I think I'll probably just keep it in the shop. Thanks very much for your reply. [p]Don