Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Level

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang - Will be putting an 8.5lb Butt in the Egg this evening, & anticipate 20/21 hrs plus or minus. Last time a 7.5lb pounder took a little over 19 hours (large egg, 230 deg) and fire was starting to poop out at the end: opened the vents & made a save, but expect this butt to take longer, & don't want a repeat. Until now I have only used enough lump to reach the top of the firebox, but some Eggsperts at the time suggested extra lump, loading well into the fire ring. Ring seems tough, & it's geometry would seem more adapted to themal expansion than the firebox, which cracked after very little low-temp use. So, unless I hear advice to the contrary, thats what I intend to do - opinions??? ERIC

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    E.B.,
    Your post

"Eggsperts at the time suggested extra lump, loading well into the fire ring. Ring seems tough, & it's geometry would seem more adapted to themal expansion than the firebox, which cracked after very little low-temp use. So, unless I hear advice to the contrary, thats what I intend to do - opinions???"
    You won't have burning charcoal there, as the charcoal will fall and fill the lower fire chamber as the lower charcoal disintegrates into ash and falls thru the lower grate. Been there, done that many times.
    Good luck..
    Char-Woody[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    E.B.,[p]Fill it to the grill, if needed. I have filled half way up the fire ring for multiple pizza cooks. It can take the heat.[p]Spin
  • Char-Woody, my inseperatable companion, please emphasis that this is only for low and slow cooks..220 to 275F..NOT advisable for high temp cooks..grilling etc!! Then, Old C~W uses moderate amounts of charocal in the firechamber.
    Yer Butt Kicker...C~W
    (All one and the same folk's)

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    E.B.,
    If you followed any of my travails yesterday, I probably erred on the side of being too conservative with the lump. Like C~W says, more is more! I killed my fire after about 11-12 hours, although if I didn't have to leave the house and the 7lb.er yesterday morning I might have been able to re-start a healthy burn. My suggestion is to follow C~W's suggestion, and when you check your cook upon rising the next morning, open up some air and get your burning rejuvenated and then re-adjust after good burning is re-established. As many here have said, after 10-12 hours and at least 160-170 internal, ratcheting up the heat won't hurt anything. Good luck!! Big Murth

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Spin, I agree with ya, even tho I haven't yet stoked to that level for a high temp run..Usually I cook only one or two pizza at a grunt, so less is fine for that one here.
    Oooodles of Cheers for that fine lady Sue..Gosh I feel good for her today! Hope all is well and improving..
    Char-Woody