Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt attempt - 4 days and counting

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so everyone has a first butt experience and like a good BBQ student I have been taking a lot of notes and looking forward to my attempt. My 1 question is time, I have been seeing all kinds of ranges of cook times at the recomended 225 to 250 degree dome temp. I have read 12 to 17 hours and as little as 6 to 7 hours for about an 8 pound butt to bring it to the 190 to 195 internal temp before pulling and wrapping in foil for a few hours. I did ribs for the 4th and that took the recomended 3 to 3.5 hours as advertised at 225 to 250 dome temp and they turned out great, with a butt I am a little confused. Any suggestions? And yes I will be using a polder thermometer set for 190. Another question, bone in or bone off?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Scott,[p]Better to plan on long, rather than short. If it gets done early, it can be held for hours wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler. And once pulled, is still great re-heated.[p]gdenby

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Scott,
    I think most would recommend bone-in. These are the only ones I've ever done and they always turn out great. Also, expect 12 hours minimum. Also, as stated elsewhere, getting done early isn't near as bad a problem as being "behind" and it not being done when your guests arrive.

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Scott,
    Unless I were using a Guru or Stoker, I would plan on 250 dome for the cook. 225 can be hard to maintain, and might make for a more sleepless night. 250 will get you about 225-230 grid temp, which is plenty low for the Egg to do its thing. And I agree with planning on long rather than short. I've had to push my last few butts to make schedule.

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Scott,[p]Butts are very forgiving. Don't worry so much about the time. The temp is your target. Some get there quickly while others don't.[p]In my experience, if you pull the butt off of the smoker when the meat has reached 190 to 205 degrees you will be fine. The hotter you let the butt get to while on the smoker, the drier the final product, it seems. A butt pulled at 190 will still be very moist and one pulled at 205 will be a bit drier. Both should be very good.[p]Shooting for a target temp of 225 to 250 at the grid should be great. That would be 250 to 275 dome temp. Don't sweat being a few degrees off. Get your egg stabilized somewhere close to that range and you will be fine. Chasing temps is a common rookie mistake and one that just adds needless stress to an otherwise fun project. Relax and have fun.[p]I find the fun in BBQing is the challange of making the whole process as easy as possible and still ending up with a superior final product. The Egg will be your greatest ally in that regard.[p]BGE015.jpg

• neweggerart
    Options
    Scott,
    I just did one last weekend. 5.75 lbs. bone in. I planned on @12 hours. It took nearly 13, and for the last hour I had to kick temperature up to about 300 and foil it. It came out great, but as everyone else has said, it's done when it's done.