Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Issues

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen the pictures and have heard incredible things done with Tri Tips on the BGE. The first time I tried one, I used a standard smoking recipe 1.7 lb TriTip at 225 degrees for 45 minutes per side and it was WAY too well done. So I tried it for half the time, 25 minutes per side and this too was too well done. [p]Should I cook them at 500 degrees for 5 minutes a side or try like 200 degress for 20 minutes?? I am at a loss.
SD Smoker

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    SDEGGMAN,[p]Here is a site for a popular method.

[ul][li]http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php[/ul]
  • wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Hey SDEGGMAN,
    To ensure the Tri Tip does not over-cook, put a temp probe in during the cook. I typically cook to an internal temp. of 125=130 in the thickest part... I take it off the Egg and foil it, let it stand 8-10 minutes, slice and serve. This usually results in medium at the thick end and medium well at the thin end. If you like it rarer, pull at 120-125 and do the same. Oh, be sure to slice across the grain.
    I cook at 300-325 and sear at the end for 90 seconds a side at 650. A 2 to 2-1/2 lb TT usually take 30-35 minutes.
    Don't give up... it a great cut of meat. HTH
    Robert

• Beerco
    Beerco Posts: 25
    Options
    SDEGGMAN,[p]Low & slow is for tough cuts of meet with plenty-o-collogen/connective tissue in them to render.[p]I've seen tri tip both very lean and pretty marbled, but never to the point where a low and slow would be the right thing to do.[p]If the pieces are small, sear at high temp and use touch to test for donness (be careful you don't burn your finger though). If you have a thick piece (which I've never seen truth be told) , you could sear and dwell, or dwell & sear, or hot tub then sear, or sit out then sear...you get the point.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Richard,
    Try this on mentioned. I doubt you will be disappointed.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    SDEGGMAN,
    I make tri-tips, usually 1-12 to 2 lbs., all the time and have learned this by trial and error:[p]Cook at 350-375¼ on a raised grid (oil it!). Even if it gets up to 400¼ for a brief time that's OK.
    TURN OVER AFTER 10 MINUTES.
    At 20 minutes check it with a Thermapen--anything past 25 minutes is EVIL.
    Let it sit for 10 minutes. [p]I always stud it with garlic slivers--I'm always sorry if I forget to do it. I smear on DP Red-Eye Express and olive oil before cooking it.[p]Good luck![p]

Judy in San Diego
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    SDEGGMAN,
    i never cook anything by time, i cook to the proper internal temp. a thermapen seems expensive at first, but it is a great investment over time and you will eat alot better

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    funny thing about the thermapen... the more you use it, the less you'll use it. early on, it is great for 'mastering' the internal temp issue. after a while, it's more a spot-check device. a person will learn from it, and use it less to repeatedly monitor temps during a cook than to just simply confirm where you think the food is at near the end.[p]rarely use it on steaks anymore, for example, because i used it enough in the beginning to get the hang of how steaks act, feel, etc. when they are 'done'

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    tri_tip800.jpg
    <p />SDEGGMAN, 250 dome till the temp in the middle is 125, remove for 15 minutes then sear at 500 till your liking.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    stike,
    comes in handy for turkeys, chickens, porkloins or any cook where you want to get the meat off 1 degree over safe so that it doesnt start to dry out. any new cook like a tritip or an expensive cook like a beef tenderloin roast, and especially a once a year 45 day dry aged ribeye that cooks way faster than one would expect. odd cuts like a leg of lamb where one part is coming up on done and another area is still raw. some steaks like ribeye have a wider margin of internal temps that still taste good while others like a new york sirloin cut from a tougher piece of rump roast need to be exactly on target or you can be chewing all day. if all steaks where ribeye or strip and cut the same way it would make life easier, but i still use my thermopen regularly. i notice i like a ribeye a little more done than i like a strip steak which adds to things. never use a thermopen on a burger, 165 degree burgers are horrible. i got a feeling you buy better steaks than me and better steaks just cook better. im a big fan of rump steak

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i think you buy better meat in general than we do. i'm sure of that!
    the 45 day aged stuff is maybe every other month now. doc told me to lay off.[p]thermapen gets a good workout over here too.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    SDEGGMAN,[p] I did a 2 lb. Tri-tip a week ago using the T-Rex steak method and it came out delicious. Get your egg up to lava temp, sear for 2 minutes a side. Take meat off and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Get the egg down to 300, put the Tri-tip back on (direct) for 10 minutes a side, then 5 minutes a side (4 turns). Check the internal temperature via instant read. The one I did was sitting at 135 internal when I pulled it off. Had it sit on the counter covered in foil for 15-20 minutes. It was like cutting thru butter when I sliced it up.[p]E-N-T
  • Unknown
    Options
    SDEGGMAN,[p]There's no way you can grill anything solely based upon numbers. You gotta get an instant read thermometer to see where the meat is. I usually take it off at 140-145 as we the family doesn't like it too rare.[p]Howard