Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool down the egg question

Carbonizer
Carbonizer Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tailgaiting this weekend and tailgaiting with the mini egg.
Once cooking is done and vents are closed it still takes quite a while to cool down. Is there a way to cool it down quicker without causing damage? I need to put it back in the car before we go into the racetrack.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Carbonizer,[p]With proper hand and arm protection....take out the firering...scoop out the Lump, and extract the firebox.[p]They will all cool much quicker that way.[p]Ash/Lump disposal is something to consider beforehand.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Carbonizer,
    Tailgated many times with the mini. Did what Chubby suggested. I left it as close to my car as possible just before going in the stadium, and never got stolen- and that was probably because no one knew what the heck it was and didnt bother to take it.
    ST

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Chubby, he could carry a small metal trash can, with lid, and maybe some sand in the bottom to put the coals in. I've found it doesn't take long for the fire to go out and once you get the coals out of the Egg it cools down quick if you leave it open.We did a cook for a dealer and once we shut the four larges down we had them empty and loaded within an hour.[p]Good Eggin'
    Poppasam

• Carbonizer,
    I had to do this when I purchased my large at the OK eggfest this year. I removed the lump to a pie tin with water in it using tongs. Then I put the grate back on and put another pie tin on it with cool water in it. A few minutes later the water was hot so we dumped it and replaced it. We did that a couple of times and then started adding ice. It was a very effective heat transfer. In fact, we had the inside cooler than the external surface of the egg in very short order.[p]That kind of heat reduction is probably not recommended on a regular basis but it worked very well in a pinch.[p]Bruce

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Poppasam,[p]Right you are![p]Most times at contests or EggFests....that is the ticket![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    you would just dump the coal out into the parking lot.[p]ooooooo......[p]Actually I just recently got in trouble for starting the egg too soon on my dad's boat, and he got really really angry at me, so to remedy the situation I opened the lid and hucked all of the semi-lit charcoal into the ocean, then left the lid open to cool the egg off.
    However, if you don't happen to have a wet parking lot with a drain, or an open ocean at hand, then I would suggest putting some tinfoil over the chimney and under the raincap to quench the fire as quickly as possible.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Carbonizer,[p] After the competition they usually want you gone fairly quick. I usually dump all the lump and take all the parts out. it will cool off fairly quick once the mass is reduced. [p] Like AlaskaC said you just need a safe place to dump the lump into. I have a small metal garbage can for that. You can leave that out of your car covered till after the race. If anyone steals it all they will get is hot lump. Though I would mark the can as containing hot ash or some 'ID 10 T' will use it for garbage.[p]
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Carbonizer,[p]FYI-Be careful not to sit hot items such as fire grate, firebox, fire ring on asphalt...they may be stuck for a awhile if you do. I look for concrete whenever I do a cool off of the internal parts, but some places are only asphalt. I have a trick of using a old set on tongs on the surface, balance the cooking grid on top, then stack the fire ring and firebox on top of that...all without touching the asphalt surface. They are cooled off withing 25 minutes or so. Even a metal can of hot lump can be a glowing inferno if left unattended, hit it with water and it's under control.[p]Egging on the Run...the only way for me nowadays.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    Thank you all, once agian the egg nation comes thru with help when needed. Happy eggin!!! Bob

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Carbonizer,
    After tailgating before a football game, someone thought it would be a good idea to dump the coals in a pan and store it under the car until after the game. We heard the fire trucks from inside the stadium sometime in the first quarter. I'm not sure, but I think alcohol may have been involved.

• AlaskanC,
    LOL. .. yea, dale wasn't happy with me was he?!![p]pull the hot coals and stick em in a pan of water...then pull the fire ring and fire box out to cool separately. ..whole thing will be cooled down in about 30 minutes that way. ...[p]trick is to have the right kinda gloves for that effort![p]btw. . .isn't there some law about pitching charcoal into the ocean??

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Carbonizer,[p]In my tailgating days we used a bicycle lock to keep anyone from stealing our grill. We just looped it through the handles and the tailgate hinge. I'm not sure how you'd rig a mini but you could probably figure something out.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ