Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE fire ring above or below PS

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have recently purchased an xl BGE and a plate setter what would be the proper inerds stack, fire box+fire ring+plate setter+grill. I would someday like to low and slow ribs, brisket, pork butt, I'm getting excited just thinking about it.
Thanks
SJ

Comments

• Smoky Joe,
    Folks say to put the plate setter inbetween the box and the ring.[p]Brett

• Smoky Joe,
    the guidance is between. However, I've found the PS to be a bit larger than the firebox and it won't set even, one of the legs wants to hang off in the gap between the firebox and egg. It sets perfectly on top of the fire ring and that's how I use it, stumps up (they're too short to call legs).[p]Problem is no room for a drip pan. I just make one out of heavy duty foil, and that has worked great. One of these days I'll get some fire bricks so I can raise the grate a suitable distance for larger drip pans - but not in a rush as foil is working fine.[p]In my opinion - hauling the fire ring in and out isn't worth the effort, it's big and breakable, and one day the latter will happen. Plus, I like to make the main meal lo & slo, and make pizza or bread while the flesh is resting. That means high temp cook and with the PS under the fire ring there isn't a lot of room between the PS & fire, and I don't want to lift a HOT, big, fragile fire ring out of there.[p]YMMV.

• Smoky Joe,
    I've tried both ways. FR above and below PS. I find that it works best with FR below PS. I noticed I had a hard time achieving a good temp with the PS below. I think not enough air flow. [p]I attempted a 20 hr 14 lb packer brisket. With all the lump I had in it the PS was about 1" above top of lump. [p]I have since gone to PS on top and inverted(legs up). Much better burn. Have done ribs, brisket, and shoulder this way and will stick to it.[p]Eggin in Abita