Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs: Rookie Questions

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been watching this forum for a few weeks now and I must say Y'all are top notch! I'm a total newbie but enthusiastic and ready to learn. Got my large BGE TODAY![p]It just seems like ribs ought to be a man's first cook on his brand new Egg. I plan to use JJ's method. The baby backs are rubbed and in the fridge for tomorrow. I found out we have company coming tomorrow so I got 3 slabs.[p]Problem is, it doesn't look like there's enough room to fit it all on the grill. I have one of those rib racks that would hold it but I don't know if that is the best way to go. Also, does that mean I should cook longer? Hotter? What about turning?[p]Any advise?[p]Bob

Comments

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    WudEyeDoo,
    So far, I've cooked a max of 3 big BB racks on my Large. If you've got an upright rack holder (holds 'em like a toaster)..it's all good. With all that rub and frig-time, you should be fine. Just watch your temps closely, and don't let them burn too fast. Paint them with your sauce in the final 1/3 to 1/4 of the cook...any earlier and all the sauce (sugars) will burn black.
    There's plenty of other ways to set the BB racks on the Egg, and a lot more advice from better sources here, than just me. Stay tuned.....and congratulations on your Egg purchase!! Big Murth

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    WudEyeDoo,
    I woudl cut em in half, then they will fit in the rib rack on edge just purrfect. Cook em indirect and flip and rotate every 45 mins. or so. I especially like the 3/1/1.5 method with baby backs. See link below.
    B D

[ul][li]Ribs Cooked 3/1/1.5[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    WudEyeDoo,
    Just getting ready to crash, so I don't have time to find the picture....but Cathy does her ribs direct with an upside-down v-rack. She gets 5 or 6 full slabs of babies in there. Rotates occasionally, and flips if they get too black on the bottom.[p]Her ribs are second to none.
    Have a blast!
    G'night,
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WudEyeDoo,[p]Well, dang I don't have the pix up on the web site yet, but one of my favorite methods for large quantities of ribs (either Baby backs or KC style) is to roll them up and skewer them.[p]Yes, this may shock some purists, but if you are going indirect for the first part of the cook it works great.[p]Just do all the normal stuff like removing the membrane, rub if you want etc. But when it comes time to cook, roll those ribs into big circles with just one rib of overlap, and stick a skewer in between the overlapped ribs, and all the way throught the other side ribs. Trim the stick if you're using bamboo (you may want to wet them down first too) and you nave a very compact, albeit tall, vertical rack-o-rib.[p]If you want to finish direct, just yank out the sticks, and cut your racks in half so they lay flat again, and finish em off.[p]I just did a few racks last weekend that got tremendous accolades from our guests, as well as the several folks that followed their noses down the hall at work as I munched my meager leftovers...<g>[p]One thing I did NOT do is finish them direct after about 6 hours of 220 degrees indirect with hickory and wine barrel chunks. Now, they were excellent, but just a tiny bit on the over-juicy side. I think a few minutes to a half hour direct would have firmed them right up to perfect.[p]BTW: The rub was the most simple yet. A basic Montreal steak seasoning.[p]Have fun!
    bc[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Welcome to the family and forum.[p]You can do the 3 racks ala JJ either full or by cutting them in half. Just let them overlap each other and move them around every 45 minutes to provide an even cook of the meat. In a rib rack (holding the ribs upright), you can cook the 3 racks full or cut in half also, flipping/moving for even cooking every hour or so. Laying flat (JJ's), figure 200-210°F dome temperature. Use a dome temperature of 240-250°F for the vertical cook. Both cooks are direct and should take about 3.5-4.5 hours. The smaller ends of the ribs may finish first and should be removed if they do. They reheat well.[p]Best of luck,
    Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    ribset23.jpg
    <p />WudEyeDoo,[p]Maybe a picture will help.[p]Here are three racks on a rib rack which is over a pizza pan (drip pan) which is on a couple firebricks (indirect method).[p]Like Spin says, cut them in half if you want. These are mustard covered too. [p]Ribs are great from the Egg, you first cook should be something shorter as you will have some trouble holding 225-250 deg for 3-4 hrs. Good luck and enjoy.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE website & cookbook[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    WudEyeDoo, I'm grinnin from ear to ear..Great handle and I have to welcome you to the forum..You be boy or girl so I know how to act..:-)
    I will leave the ribs to the pro's down below, and simply say welcome to the nicest bunch of folks you will ever meet.
    Cheers...C~W
    (reason I'm tickled, you remind me of a true story years ago.)

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks! I'm happy to be part of this group. By the way, I be boy. Won't be long and I'll be firing up the Egg. I'm already fired up!

• WudEyeDoo , well, my new puppy Heidi, gives me that look once in a while..and she be girl...But sometimes I have to give me wiffy that look too..Welcome aboard! Ask any question you like..most of us have been there, forward and backward..and in between..Cheers..[p]C~W[p]