Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Home made kielbasa (pics)

AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
edited 11:50AM in EggHead Forum
On Saturday I ground up an 8 lb butt, seasoned it, and stuffed it into casings. I let them cure in the fridge overnight and smoked them with cherry and pecan wood on Sunday morning. They took on a lot of color.[p]IMG_0277Small.jpg[p]
For dinner last night I cut a pound of it into 3/4" lengths, cubed 4 potatoes, and sliced an onion. I mixed that with 3/4 cup white wine, 1/4 cup Dijon honey mustard, and 2 Tbs brown sugar. On the Egg at 400 dome for about an hour and 20 minutes stirring it up every 15 minutes. Good stuff! -RP[p]IMG_0280Small.jpg

• AlaskanCAlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Ok we are definitely going to have to do a sausage thing in Atlanta!![p](roughly translated, I sure hope that you bring some sausages to Atlanta) :)[p]Those look great!!
  • MattMatt Posts: 103
    AZRP,[p]Wow, those look fantastic. I love to make homemade sausage, but I've never tried kielbasa. Can you share your recipe and smoking method?[p]Matt
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've given up on recipes anymore, I used the Polish sausage mix from Hi Mountain, it comes with a curing agent that you use if you are going to smoke it. They were in the smoker at 120 for an hour w/o smoke to dry them, then 140 for 30 minutes w smoke, then 180 w smoke until they reached 156 internal. -RP

• Rich GRich G Posts: 103
    AZRP,[p]What kind of casings are those? They look like collagen casings since they are so straight & uniform, but wanted to verify. They look great!![p]Rich
    Rich G,
    Yes they are collagen, there are two types of collagen casings, one for fresh sausage and one that can take smoke. The smoking ones are more expensive, but they worked very well. It was my first time using them and I liked the results. -RP

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I bet those would be great in a Jambalaya as well. You are the sausage eggspert.[p]Mike

Car Wash Mike,
    No expert, but I am learning grasshoppa. -RP

• Buster Dog BBQBuster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Car Wash Mike,
    Yeah, that would be good in Omaha. Jambalaya. Saw a guy make it at a comp. He just had the rice in a separate cooker and did all the meat on his smoker.

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I'm the one learning![p]Mike

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,171
    AZRP,[p]Those, sir, look absolutely amazing.[p]
  • MattMatt Posts: 103
    AZRP,[p]Given your temps, were you using an electric smoker or some other cold some setup? Or, can you keep you Egg that cool?[p]Matt
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,404
    AZRP, we need to call you the casing've been putting out the sausage products about summer sausage, lol. [p]What's the work on the boudain. I was out of town. T ACGP, Inc.
    Been there with the summer sausage, and the boudin was very good. -RP[p]IMG_0157Small.jpg

• bobbybbobbyb Posts: 1,349
    AZRP,[p]Looking very good! You have me motivated to try to make sausage again.
    Cheers, Bob

Happy for the motivation, I'm having so much fun that my freezer is getting full and I've starting taking sausage to work and giving to other workers. -RP

• tjvtjv Posts: 3,404
    AZRP, I should have known on the summer sausage, LOL. T ACGP, Inc.
  • ShortRibShortRib Posts: 180
    Where do you get your casings? I have used natural ones from a butcher, but my wife gets weirded out by them. I used paper ones for summer sausage that came in a kit from Hi Mountain.

I got my last ones from this store, check out the site, they carry a lot of cool stuff. -RP

[ul][li]Heinsohn's Country Store[/ul]