Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Fried Chicken Recipe Please

Options
Carbonizer
Carbonizer Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Love Southern Fried Chicken, what I make in the house is very good but how would I do this on the BGE?? Have Large,Medium and Mini to cook on. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Carbonizer,[p]Hot grease on the BGE is potentially risking serious injury and problems.

• Unknown
    Options
    Carbonizer,
    I suggest a frying pan

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Carbonizer,
    Don't even think about doing this on the egg! Hot oil and fire are a lethal combination..........

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Fire Marshel,
    On the BGE or on the stove??

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Options
    Carbonizer,
    KFC is the best. Cook your chicken in the BGE with your favorite rub or barbecue sauce or both. [p]Pork Butt Mike

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Carbonizer,
    I'd just use a regular old Southern Fried Chicken recipe. I'm not sure that I'd worry about making it on the Egg since there is really nothing to be gained by cooking on the Egg that I can think of. You don't want or need smoke with Southern Fried Chicken and with a heavy iron skillet you can get pretty even heating on a stove. If you are talking about deep frying, let me add my voice to those crying "Nay! Nay!" If you are talking about real Southern Fried Chicken (why the heck am I capitalizing it over and over, lol?) then I just don't see a reason to do it in the Egg. But then, I'm real tired and maybe the old gray matter is missing something.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Carbonizer,
    this may not be what you want but i have heard several people rave about it[p]happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]not your mama's fried chicken[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Carbonizer
    Options
    BENTE,
    Dizzy Pig's chicken looks good think I'll try it. After reading all the responses, I guess I'll stick to fried chicken cooked inside. No need to burn my house down at this point.
    Damn, I thought that fried chicken on the BGE was my best idea of the day.
    Honey, is there any Rum left in the house?
    Thank's All

• Smoke Diver
    Options
    egret,[p]And beside that, you might get hurt![p]Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    Smoke Diver,
    Got that too--Just was fixating on cooking everything on the BGE I guess. Thanks, Have a good night all. [p]Car "coulda blewed myself up" bonizer
    My 1st Spring Chickenisium and probably the last too.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    100_0428.jpg
    <p />Carbonizer, how about a turkey fryer for doing fried chicken outside or shrimp, as in the pictures. Good Stuff! With a little patience, you can usually find a bargain on one. T[p]100_0427.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    tjv,
    Got one already, used it twice only. Seems like a lot of work putting in taking out oil and cleaning for each use though, those shrimp look great!!

• Carbonizer
    Options
    tjv,
    After a second look it seems you have a frying pan or dutch on top instead of the 30 qt. pot that is normally used with the turkey fryer, that wouldn't be too hard.
    Iv'e used a lead furnace burner before for blackening in a cast iron pan, prettty much same as the fryer burner. Thank's

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Carbonizer, it's a 15 frying pan. I cut the handle off and added the swinging half loop handle so it can be used in the egg for blackening steaks and such. [p]Once you learn temp control with the gas burner, it's easier cooking than on the stove: plenty of heat if you need it, and the wife won't complain about the smell, mess and grease splatter.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Carbonizer,
    for something different, try smoked buffalo wings, they need alot of smoke and slow cook them til about 150 internal, then into the frier. hot sauce and bluecheese dressing. smofried wings are pretty good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    tjv,
    The first time I blackened anything was about 25 yrs. ago and I was living in an apartment building. You can guess the end result. The Fireman were nice about it though, just a "little" smoke.