Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Expanded Metal Grate Photo's

Bryan
Bryan Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
expmetgrt.jpg
<p />Kemper, (and anyone else curious) [p]These are (I hope) the pictures of my Expanded Metal Grate Building Experiment. The top photo shows the grate with 5 1/4-20 bolts for legs. These stick into the throat of the firebox to prevent movement when stiring the coals and ashes.[p]The middle photo shows the firebox on it's side on the table with the grate in place. The bolts hold it in good although I can't imagine why it would be important to hold in at this angle.[p]The bottom is another view of the legs of the grate.[p]I hope this helps those curious about the grate setup I posted earlier. [p]I haven't tried it with a trivet yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I hardly have to stir ashes out at all with this setup. Plenty of air gets through. Ashes seem to fall right through. [p]I would love to find some stainless expanded metal sometime. I believe it would last almost forever.

Comments

• Bryan
    Picture didn't take. I'll have to try again later.[p]Bryan
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    EXPMETGRT.JPG
    <p />Bryan,[p]Hope you don't mind a little help. Your picture was filed using all caps so I linked it for you.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bryan, I don't think the file is there - it appears to be 1k in size - the other 2 that you have are 80k and 92k. You might want to make sure that your upload took. Good luck!

• Bryan
    Thanks Bob,[p]I finally figured it out on my end. Hard to believe a little machine such as this can be so picky about spelling.[p]Bryan

• Bryan
    Gfw,[p]Thanks, I fixed it. Take a look now.[p]Bryan

• Bryan
    Me again,
    Sorry about the miscount. 6 bolts instead of 5.[p]Bryan

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bryan, pics look great - maybe you should start a little side business! I have to look into what you accomplished for my BGE.

• Bryan, my buddy's middle name is Stainless. Great pics. My buddy owns a metal fab shop. I was going to see him today to find out what he has that would hold up to extreem heat. "Boiler-Plate comes to mind, but he's the one that cut my small mesh expanded metal cooking grate. It's my pride and joy.... He has stainless stuff like this in the trash bin. I had a very hot pre-fire going tonight and I could actually see my ceramic grate glowing in the inferno. It takes a lot of punishment. He does boiler replacements and everything else relating to industrial hell. I'm going to see him tomorrow. We may come up with something. He's a metalurgist of sorts,, so I will let yall know what he thinks. You know,,,,, titanium gets harder when heated! HUMMMMMMMM!

• King-O-Coals, Titanium, huh? I've got these golf clubs
    I could melt down.....

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Bryan ,
    Its probably not your machine but rather the server your storing the pictures on. Many run Unix which is case sensitive(much like the minds of teenagers). ABC is not the same as abc --- go figure? [p]Tim -- Brant loves Unix, Brant loves Unix

• Bryan
    Tim M,[p]That was it.[p]Thanks
  • Kamper
    Kamper Posts: 41
    Bryan,[p]Thanks for the photos of your setup...I've just completed something similar but without the bolts. Wish I had seen your idea first, I like the anti-shift device/bolts! I simply cut some stainless expanded metal from a waste piece and added a stainless ring to the outside edge to give it some "heft" I have access to metal shears and welding equip and love stupid projects like this, so I have a lot more into it than is required, but that's half the fun, isn't it?