Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Grate works Great

Options
Rotor
Rotor Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally encountered the dreaded cracked fire grate issue. During a high-temp steak grilling I heard a "pop" the next time I was into the egg to stir the old ashes around the grate fell apart. As it was in 4 pieces I decided it was beyond a Rutland repair.[p]Not to worry ... despite having two nieces, a nephew-in-law, their two friends, one of our own, and my family of four coming to a lamb roast dinner ...[p]Thanks to seeing some very clever solutions to egg issues on this forum I went to the local Canadian Tire store (like Ace Hardware) and went hunting. I settled on a sheet of expanded steel grid. It was 12" X 24" with 1/4" diamond grid pattern made out of 18 gauge steel. I cut two 9" circles out of it with tin snips (I cheated and drew a circle using a marker tied to a string) placed them in an opposing pattern and connected them with three 4" bolts with two nuts per bolt (above and below the grates).[p]From discovering the broken grate to firing the egg with its new grate was 47 minutes. BTW my new ceramic grate is on its way courtesy of my BGE dealer, but I'd like to thank you folks for saving that dinner. [p]Cheers,[p]Dave

Comments

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    Rotor,[p]Glad it worked out for you so quickly. I replaced my ceramic grate with expanded metal a long time ago for an efficiency reason rather than for necessity. I didn't double up mine, or use bolts or anything fancy like that. I simply traced around the metal with chalk using my ceramic grate as a template, and cut out the circle that way. I bought a trivet, but never bothered using it -- I still think some of those holes are too big. I like having only 1/4" and under pieces of charcoal fall through with the ash.[p]Brant
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Rotor, your new grate will last years...no problem.. I am logging nearly 4 with mine..same diamond mesh. But you will super heat the bottom of the BGE so leave a half inch of ash on the bottom.
    Put the new one on the shelf..:-)
    C~W[p]

• Rotor
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the tip, I'll be less vigilant about my cleanup now "But dear Char-Woody said to leave the ash in it."[p];-)

• Rotor
    Options
    Brant,[p]I was thinking that it would be more efficient as well, I didn't know if I needed to double it up, but kind of thought 'why not' as I had the extra piece sitting there. I thought the bolts would add some stability when I ran the ash-tool around. Seems to do the job too.[p]Cheers,[p]Dave

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Rotor, who dat?? But try it..I clean mine about once a week if it needs it or not and spread ash around to keep the bottom cool..it works..guaranteed.
    C~W[p]