Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A different cook in a way..a 13.9 lb Boston Butt...!!

Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend wanted me to do a boston butt for her and her family for this weekend..She picked up the meat, and delivered the package of cryovac meat from IBP..One whole sholder and butt, less the bones. The meat was trimmed off in 5 chunks from the bone(s)..Alas...what to do..So I used half a package of Lysanders Pork Rub, and worked it in real good on all 5 chunks..Then oiled em down with olive oil and refrigerated 24 hours.
Removed them from the fridge this evening around 6 P.M. and laced two of the larger chunks together into a ball with butcher twine. Same for the other three chunks, and then slathered em with a cheep "Our Family" yellow mustard. Good enuff for crusting.
Placed all three or a total of 13.9 lbs or 14 lbs with mustard and seasonings (grin) on my round stainless steel mesh jerky basket that I had laying around here. This on a grill on 2 firebricks on edge over a round aluminum drip pan tray...!
I hope I have pulled pork at noon tomorrow...shooting for 230F degree cook temp...!
The fire was built with my standard low an slow core fire...I had a half bed of red hot coal..stirred it up a bit, and then added just enough charcoal to level the fire chamber. Then added 3 biiiiig chunks of hickory..Then added enough charcoal to fill the fire ring clear to the top just barely set the grill back down on the fire ring. Thats as far as I push it..:-)
Smoke rolled for the next half hour easily..Temperature after meat insertion was 160F and rising. 15 minutes later it was at 175F and rising..From 6:30 till now...7:23 p.m. tis 220F degrees and steady.
Luck is with me??
Hope it works..is this a first or has anyone done a full boneless pork butt and shoulder??
C~W

Comments

• Char-Woody,[p]Good luck on the cook! Haven't done a full shoulder (picnic n' butt), but the local food town has butts on sale for $1.49/lb.... so I'm thinkin' of getting about 3 of 'em since they're all about 3-3½ pounders.[p]Will they still be good for pulled pork? I don't think any of them has the fat cap on, which is something I look for.[p]I finally found a local source for lump... the hardware store ordered a coupla bags of Royal Oak lump for me. I went to the Royal Oak website and punched my zip code in, then a list of carriers in my area came up. Is $10.99 for a 20lb. bag about average ya think?[p]James

• I used the DoitBest site to find a local Royal Oak supplier... follow the link and click on "Info" in the lower right corner.
    [ul][li]DoitBest - Royal Oak Lump Charcoal[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    HurricaneJames, fat caps on a BButt never were a concern as the interior is filled with fatty muscle tissue..Almost what you might say is a self basting whole hunk of meat..Till you get down into the finer grained meat of the shoulder. Some say for that reason the shoulder is a better cook. I should have lots of variety..Time to check the fire.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    HurricaneJames, hey, thats not bad for 20 lbs..The True Value is around 9 for 20 lbs..I am buying up the stock of the local Menards and I should net out around 2.79 for 8.8 lb bags..on my Pickup truck.

• Walked outside on this glorious Iowa morning and smelled
    the most wonderful smell there is: hickory smoke cookin' pork! Read your post and knew where it was coming from! Keep that heavenly aroma coming down state! Now that's quality air quality!

• Char-Woody
    Q-Ball, with this perfect night air of 60F, I have my big balcony doors wide open and the fragrance wafts up into my bedroom all night long...sigh..Even my pup Patti sleeps soundly...!! Your on the money..!!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Char-Woody,[p]82F here at 10am...Feels like 90F...Come on cool weather,we don't have cold weather..hehehe[p]Larry