Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low cooking temp

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i cant seem to keep the egg at 200 for low slow cooking. i need to practically close it down to drop the temp - and the fire usually goes out. if i open the bottom vent even slightly the temp climbs to 250. any help out there?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    davymac,[p]You don't need to be at 200* for a good low n slow. Open bottom vent and daisy wheels about 1/8" each and your egg will maintain a dome temp of 250*, which with an indirect setup will make the grid temp about 215-225.[p]I can think of no reason to keep the temp any lower. This is low enough to make great pulled pork, brisket, ribs, and many other things you will enjoy.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    davymac,
    200 is definitely too low for barbecue. If the dome is 200 and the grid is at 180, how are you going to get the meat up above 180 degrees? Also, don't try to cool the cooker off. Try to approach your target temperature from below, closing down the vents more and more as you get closer.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    davymac,
    Make a small cylinder out of expanded metal, about 6 inches around and foot tall. Fill it with small pieces of lump and some wood chips or small wood chunks mixed in. Do a top down burn. I used to smoke sausages at 180 using this method.