Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kabobs

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any interesting ideas for kabobs? One or two of my younger brothers will be attending this Saturday's Jets-Ravens games with ST and I. I asked one brother if he had any requests for menu items and he said he might like some kabobs. I know I can throw some various meat on sticks seperated by some veggies and grill for a while flipping occasionally, but I'm wondering if anyone has some tried and true good recipes for meat on sticks.[p]I'm going to be looking into R&J's recipe for Chicken Satay (sp), as I tried that at E2K1 and loved it. Any other good ideas?[p]Thanks,
Cornfed

Comments

• Cornfed,
    Believe it or not, Lawry's Caribbean Jerk marinade is really good for Kabobs ! I usually do chunks of pork sirloin and throw in some extra minced garlic. You could probably add some "heat" to it, also. The marinade itself is spicy, but not hot. Also, marinade at least 6-8 hrs. Add some onions, peppers etc. to the kabobs and serve with some rice pilaf.

• EJ,
    Forget the rice idea. Sounds like you're tailgating. In that case, serve the kabobs on pita bread or some great rolls. Have fun.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I love these shrimp kabobs...I use KennyG's recipe..Shrimp to Die for.
    Larry

[ul][li]Shrimp Kabobs[/ul]
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Here is my veggie input buy some of those canned, skinned, whole white potatoes. They are awesome!!! They and a good valdelia (sp?) will rival the meats.[p]Jethro
  • 3 Balut's
    Options
    Cornfed,here is one for you from the Phillippines. Any active duty or retired Navy or Chair Force forum members will remember the sidewalk vendors selling meat on a stick. Went well after a long night out on the town with a few San Miguels to wash it down. Here is the recipe it makes a boatload so reduce as required:[p]6 lbs chuck eye steak
    2 packs tocino mix (can get it here in Va Beach at local grocery or oriental food store)
    1 teaspon garlic salt (use coarse ground salt with parsley)
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 tablespoon ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon MSG or accent
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    1/2 cup seven up[p]Cut meat into 1/2" x 1" x 3" inch strips and mix all ingredients in a covered bowl overnight. Place meat on bamboo skewers (remember to soak them)and cook away. Best served when hot and cooked med well.[p]VaNole [p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I've had good luck with a really simple one...Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing. Put the cut up meat, green peppers and onions in a bag and add the dressing. Marinate for as long as you want. Skewer the above with whole button mushrooms and cook at about 550F to 600F just until the veggies start to char a little. It works and is really simple.
    JimW[p]

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    VaNole,[p]My wife is from the Fire Islands - Cebu. I know exactly what you are talking about. I've had them at Philippine parties here in the States and when I went over to meet the inlaws - good stuff![p]As a note if anyone is interested in Phil. foods, here is what you do. Next time you see a big group of Philippinos in a park wander over and find a friendly looking middle aged lady in the group. Tell her your interested in Philippino cooking. From what I've seen 9 out of 10 times you'll end up with a plate full of food.[p]Jethro

• 3 Balut's
    Options
    Jethro,been to Cebu 4 times. Am an AF Brat born at Clark. Active duty now in what my father calls the salt water division (Navy) of the United States Air Force. PI is a great place and it is a shame we no longer have Subic/Cubi and Clark.
    Great food in the islands also with many dishes adapatable to the EGG. Have a great day.[p]VaNole

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Cornfed,
    the other day I did some chicken breast strips 'onna' stick.Marinaded them a couple hours in some of the new Yoshida cracked pepper and garlic sauce,then grilled them direct hanging on edge of two firebrick.They were mighty good.Good luck. Bob