Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys Ive never cooked a brisket. Am I missing out big time?[p]Gonna cook a butt this weekend, but decided to experiment my next cook. Anyone suggest a recipe for a first time brisket cooker.[p]Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Tom,
    Yeah, you're missing out BIG time.
    I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions. Follow them. Works every time!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tom,
    Yep. You are missin' out. On the outskirts of town. [p]Go getcha a nice big chunk-o-chest with a generous fat cap, cook it almost just like your butt, and get ready for a carnival in your mouth. Rub it on down with your favorite rub, and give it between 1.75 and 2.75 hours per pound at 225-250 dome temp over a drip pan or plate setter....depending on how much exercise your particular cow got. Like a butt, there will be a long plateau in the 160-170 internal temp range. Wait it out. Have a beer. Enjoy.
    Beers to you.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Schneid
    Schneid Posts: 24
    Options
    Tom,
    Until 4 this am I also had never tackled the brisket. I have done Boston Butts and they kept getting better and better, so I stayed on that pig. Wanted to venture out of the barn and into the pasture----am using Nature Boy's Eggfest 2000 recipe (PS--Thanks NB).
    So far all is well---the smell of hickory blends well with coffee and a peaceful house (wife and 3y old still sleeping)
    Just as I got my new Polder in the game---it started raining nicely. I cut a small hole in corner of 1 gal zip lock bag, threaded probe cord through and attached to moniter and place nearly all of cord and Polder into sealed bag. Know that the BGE is fully protecting the brisket with mere slits open above with the smoke driving up and the rain away. I also considered just covering the probe cord water tight and bringing the Polder inside---since I do not really care about the temp until 4PM-ish, or do I?
    I cannot wait to trade coffee and hickory smoke for beer and brisket this eve!